keyboard typing nos instead of letters on Macbook pro

Reaction score
I use a 2007 MBP. I was using gmail this morning, when suddenly was unable to type any letters. A few, slow random numbers were displayed instead. (no nos lock on).
The same happened with mac mail, Safari, Chrome and Firefox - 2 or 3 numbers appeared instead of the text I tried to type, in the search or url bars.
I restarted and well, I'm now typing this message.

Only new software on the computer is from over a week ago when I installed a free trial version of MacKeeper (is it worth having btw?) but surely if it were that, it would have caused the problem some time ago?

any ideas on what could have caused this and what to do about it? thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
What operating system are you running?

C

chas_m

MacKeeper = bad, horrible software. Get rid of it immediately.

As for the numbers-not-letters problem, try pressing the "num lock" key on your keyboard (otherwise known as F6) and see if that doesn't fix things.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, I definitely didn't have nos lock/F6 on - on my MBP it's right at the top and small so out of the way.
The OS is 10.6.8 Snow Leopard installed May 2010

I will get rid of Mackeeper.

Restarting solved the issue, but wondered what had caused the issue in the first place as it's never happened before. thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
MacKeeper = bad, horrible software. Get rid of it immediately.

As for the numbers-not-letters problem, try pressing the "num lock" key on your keyboard (otherwise known as F6) and see if that doesn't fix things.

It won't 'drop and drag to trash' delete - how do I get rid of mackeeper please?
I was an idiot to install it in the first place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.