Extremely slow Office 2011 / Word 2011 – NOT at startup

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am a translator, so my work 100% depends on swift operation of Microsoft Word. For some time I’ve been planning to switch to Mac, and now I have a new Mac Mini Server (i7, 4 GB RAM, 7200 rpm HDD) to play with. Besides setting up my network environment I experimented with Office 2011 to see how things will go when/if I purchase a new iMac as my primary desktop computer.

Sadly in my situation there is no substitute for MS Office, and on the Mac only Office 2011 is acceptable. It is related to some professional instruments, so trust me, I know what I am talking about here :)

Any office application starts up in 1-2 seconds, which is very good.
Problems begin later.
First of all, there seems to be small lag in operation of both Word and Excel – in comparison with Windows 2010 versions. Sometime when I type really fast Word does not even manages to display all the letters as I type. The lag here is minimal, but it is really annoying.
The second problem is much more severe. I often need to work with documents in different languages. When I select all text in any Word document, go to Tools – Languages and change the language to another (spell checks of which are supported by my Word), it works REALLY slowly. For the sake of experiment you may select all the text in e.g. German document and select English (US) as the text language. Word is supposed to red-underline every word in this – and it does – SLOWLY.
Now, this is not an issue of track changes / font duplicates etc. I’ve checked it all numerous times. The same process in my Windows Word 2010 happens instantly.

Any advice, please? Or maybe some of you have Word 2011 running on a faster set-up (iMac / Mac Pro) and can try the routine I described and post the results?

Thank you very much in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any advice, please? Or maybe some of you have Word 2011 running on a faster set-up (iMac / Mac Pro) and can try the routine I described and post the results?

No problem here on a 2011 iMac with 4 GB of memory. What else is going on with your machine at the same time? Keep your Activity Monitor.app open and watch to see what might be gobbling up the CPU when you're doing your translating work in Word.

OP
S
Reaction score
No problem here on a 2011 iMac with 4 GB of memory. What else is going on with your machine at the same time? Keep your Activity Monitor.app open and watch to see what might be gobbling up the CPU when you're doing your translating work in Word.

Thank you for the suggestion!
However, activity monitor shows nothing fancy... And it is a brand new Lion installation - just OSX and Office...
I have a plan to try and uninstall Office and try to first run it again without any patches - see what happens.
From other forums and discussions of similar problems with Word it seems that the issue is consistent with many people but pretty random - different hardware, different OSX versions, patches/no patches etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very odd. Office 2011 is by far the fastest loading and operating version to date.

ake

Reaction score
same problem over a year now

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem working on my thesis. there is an extreme lagging on the typing and scrolling in my word (office for mac 2011, ). its really annoying and seems to be worse when i work with the commentary-function. i use the 2008 version instead, but this one crashes about once a day...

is there a solution yet?

thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
have you updated office lately? I had the lag issue when typing really fast but once I updated office about a week ago it doesnt lag anymore :) (im using office 2011 too)

ake

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. yes, i always update hoping it will work better afterwards... no improvement here... ;-(

Reaction score
hey all

I have the exact same problem and nobody seems to have a clue on this thing. My problem are with my thesis that is now for about 500 pages. But as someone says, i have only word with thesis open, endnote for bibliography and nothing else.
My computer is a 2012 MBP 15'' i7 Quad 2,2mhz and 4 gb memory.
Ok let's say, i come from windows and the things run pretty fast than in mac with a less superb configuration pc.
My fist problem is really the keyboard lag, and the move up and down of pages.....

i begin to think that was a mistake to spend that much money in my mac, even if i love him and was what i always wanted to have , but had no money for it.

Any microsoft, or apple people helping ??????

Ty guys for the forum.

Alexm

Reaction score
Slowly Running Word 2011

Seems this problem not cured, any help appreciated as word is now up to 5 seconds behind my typing (and before anyone jumps on me, no, I am not that fast typing) :D

Reaction score
Word running Slow

Am running word 2008 which was lagging a few seconds behind my typing. found that running the REPAIR DISC PERMISSIONS worked for me. Now no lag

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.