Connect Macbook Pro to internet using ethernet cable HELP PLEASE!!!

Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently came over to a relative´s house in Peru for vacation and brought my macbook pro laptop with me thinking I can use it if I get bored. Unfortunately, she does not have wireless internet, only a modem she connects to her windows xp desktop via ethernet cable. I disconnected the cable from her tower and plugged it into my laptop, ran safari, and it says I am not connected to the internet. I thought you could just plug in the wire that is plugged into the modem and it would work, but obviously I was wrong. I urgently need help because I need to work on my computer but I need internet. I´m kind of a newbie at all this internet stuff, so please try to go step by step. I greatly appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
A few things I can think of. Your relative might have a network password. She might have to adjust her network settings to allow a new computer (yours) access. You might need to go into System Preferences>Network and make sure the Ethernet option shows up in the list.

OP
M
Reaction score
How can I determine if I need to enter a password in order for it to work, because when I plug in the cable and open safari, there is no option to enter a password. And I already checked in the system preferences, ethernet is there and I turned the Airport off and still no fix. Any ideas??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There will most likely not be a password via ethernet.

If you just unplug the cable from another computer and plug it into yours, you will need to reboot the modem in order to get it to give your computer an IP address. You'll have to reboot it again when moving the cable back to the other computer.

In some cases, you will also need to reboot the computer after rebooting the modem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Should I reboot the modem before or after plugging in the cable to my computer? Also, by reboot, do you mean unplugging the power and plugging it back in or resetting the modem using the button labeled 'reset'? So basically, how do you reboot a modem? Thanks again for all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Disconnect ethernet from her computer. Unplug power from cable modem for 15-30 seconds. Connect power to cable modem. Connect ethernet to your MacBook Pro.

To connect back to her computer, reverse the process. Typically, a cable modem will bind itself to the last device connected to it. If another device connects, it will notice the settings don't match the original device and won't let it connect. The power cycle of the cable modem clears that memory buffer, and lets a new device connect and bind.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried doing that but still when I try to connect to safari it says it cannot connect because I am not connected to the internet. In system preferences I turned off airport and under ethernet it said self-assigned ip address and using DHCP. Any suggestions what I may be doing wrong?

C

chas_m

In my experience, one of two things is going on.

1. You did not really UNPLUG (power down) the cable modem and wait long enough. Give it a full minute next time.

OR

2. The modem has been set up to copy her computer's MAC address as its own (a MAC address has nothing to do with Mac or PC as you probably know). The only fix for that is to open the modem's configuration page and change that. You might call the service provider, explain the situation, chances are they'll help you out by resetting the modem from their end.

OR

3. You could spend a lot more time hanging out at coffee shops, libraries and other places with free wi-fi. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
2. The modem has been set up to copy her computer's MAC address as its own (a MAC address has nothing to do with Mac or PC as you probably know). The only fix for that is to open the modem's configuration page and change that. You might call the service provider, explain the situation, chances are they'll help you out by resetting the modem from their end.

My money is on this. Unfortunately, it may be more hassle than it is worth, especially with whoever you are staying with, to go about resetting the modem to your MAC address for the short time you will be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.