Western digital my passport essential SE hard drive

Reaction score
so i've finally decided on buying this external hard drive. And i know ive recently posted a similar thread on the apple time capsule, but i quickly want to double check afew things before i buy this one tomorrow. I've watched videos showing how this WD drive backs up everything from your computer automatically, however the reason i want to buy this, is not just to back my data up but because my internal hard drive is full i need to know if i can add extra music/photos straight onto my macbook as if the WD drive was actually adding storage to my internal hard drive. I presume you can, but will it be as simple as instead of choosing my mac HD just chose the WD HD. Also say if i put a cd in my mac to add to my itunes library will it just automatically import it as it normally would if the WD drive is connected.
And finally how do i format this to mac which it says you have to do.
sorry for the length, and thanks in advance for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can of course move and load your iTunes library and iPhoto library to an external hard drive. Same with some other applications. However, you're only placing a "band aid" on the problem. You really need a larger and faster internal hard drive not an external one. Also an external hard drive is going to be many times slower than an internal drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.