Audio on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question and hoping there is an answer for it. Basically, i have an inquiry about audio. If I have my Macbook Pro connected to my HDTV and say i am playing a movie from it on my TV; am i then able to open something else containing audio and have it come through my laptop or headphones that i connect to my laptop?

Sorry if that is confusing. Today i had to play a video for someone through my MBP to my HDTV but while i was doing that, i wanted to play a game but have the games audio come through my headphones so that i enjoy my game and the other person enjoys the video on the tv.

Reaction score
As far as I know, you cannot do what you want to do on a macbook pro. When I want to connect my macbook pro to an hdtv, I use a DVI to HDMI connector which connects from the DVI port in my laptop to an HDMI input on the TV. Apart from that, I need a seperate cable connecting from my laptop´s audio jack into the TV. What you can try to do is try making the connection only with the HDMI cable, and then use your earphones to play your game. I dont know how you will be able to get the sound from the movie, but since the laptop only has one audio jack, this is the only suggestion I can think of.

Hope this helps

OP
K
Reaction score
Well i have a late 2010 MBP model so the hdmi itself supports audio. I was just wandering if there is maybe some kind of program that will split an audio from a movie and direct it to the HDTV and then direct the game audio into some sort of headphones?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Simple answer - no.

There is no "per app" switching to move audio between different outputs.
Can't even output audio from a single app to more than one selection at a time.

Might be able to do it with a separate USB sound card, but I've never tried it.
Some of those using their Macs for DJaying might have more advice.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think what you need might be possible using Audio Hijack Pro. I asked something similar on another forum and that led to a thread about Routing Audio on G5. Specifically check the post bCory Cooper that has directions (post 8 I think).

I have not tried this yet since I changed configuration of my system shortly after that and didn't need that function anymore. It's laid out with a G5 in mind but should be applicable since your system uses audio.

BTW in the name of all that is right with the world please ignore my repeated switching of the terms audio in/out. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.