Looking for a Burning program

Reaction score
I'm looking for a burning program that will allow me to burn divx files to DVD discs for my first gen MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can right-click on the file and select "Burn to Disc". Mac OS X has this natively built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Burn - Home free and open source and one of the easiest to use with great looking burns.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Come on mate. A little bit of effort on your part. I did give you a valid link to a valid and well known DVD burning App and if you bothered to look half way down the page

Made your own movies and want to share them with family and friends? No problem. Burn can create a wide range of video discs. From VideoCD to DVD-Video discs. And DivX discs to fit more of your videos on a disc.

20110805-rajfaig25audy6dggxsdaafsar.jpg

Cheers

OP
GinoLicious
Reaction score
Burn comes stock on the mac that's why I didn't fully read in depth. Will changing up my burning programs allow me to burn. Toast 8 sometimes works and sometimes fails for me. That's why I'm looking for a new program that will be efficient and work. I know m burner works as it allows me to burn CDs through iTunes and a few data discs through toast 8, so I hope this program solves my issue and will allow me to burn videos successfully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NO Burn doesn't. There is a burn program that is by Default on your Mac as MYmacROX pointed out in his post, but BURN is a 3rd party App that is downloadable through the link i provided.
Best bet is dl it and see if it holds up to what you want. As it stands Burn has never failed me yet.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I have been having trouble with xilisoft. Can I just convert an avi to a dvd format then just right-click and burn it to a blank dvd for play on a dvd player? What format does it have to be in and what is the easiest way to do it? I tried burn, but it keeps quitting unexpectedly as does xilisoft, for some reason.

OP
GinoLicious
Reaction score
Divx discs are great bro. It's just burning an .avi file to a DVD. Most players can read divx. This way you get 4 movies on one disc.

I was using toast 8, but it seems like the program rarely works anymore fo burning movies.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have been having trouble with xilisoft. Can I just convert an avi to a dvd format then just right-click and burn it to a blank dvd for play on a dvd player? What format does it have to be in and what is the easiest way to do it? I tried burn, but it keeps quitting unexpectedly as does xilisoft, for some reason.

Xiisoft is junk. The same software is sold under a host of different names by different Chinese spammer outfits. If you used your credit card to pay for it, I'd be very leery of the integrity of that account.

In order to burn to a standard set-top compatible DVD player, you'll need software that can transcode the video into that format. Roxio's Toast can do that on-the-fly. Although Burn does an admirable job, I don't believe it has the capacity to do the needed transcoding.

OP
GinoLicious
Reaction score
For this burn program why does it always say I need to convert my
file to .avi when adding it to the window to be burned. The files are downloaded in .avi format so I'm confused why burn ms convert once again. Furthermore, the convert process that appears to me as unneeded, takes for ever and sometimes freezes and won't quit, therefore requiring me to power down my MacBook.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why is the process needed? What are you intending to play these DVDs on? They to be in a DVD format to play on all set top DVD players. A True DVD is not an AVI. It has to be converted to a Video_TS format first before burning if you want the DVD to play on all true DVD players.

It's early here and I am half asleep, but hope that explains it a bit.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For this burn program why does it always say I need to convert my
file to .avi when adding it to the window to be burned. The files are downloaded in .avi format so I'm confused why burn ms convert once again. Furthermore, the convert process that appears to me as unneeded, takes for ever and sometimes freezes and won't quit, therefore requiring me to power down my MacBook.

Because AVI isn't a codec, it's a container. AVI files can be encoded in many different formats.

Burn doesn't do transcoding. As stated previously, you'll want something like Toast that will actually change the format from one to another on-the-fly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Toast for sure is the best out there for OSX. Thanks CWA for mentioning that.

OP
GinoLicious
Reaction score
Yes I use to use toast but toast 8 doesn't seem to work anymore. Moat times when trying to burn a divx disc I get an error and it fails

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I use to use toast but toast 8 doesn't seem to work anymore. Moat times when trying to burn a divx disc I get an error and it fails

Toast 8 is pretty old. Probably just time for an upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.