panther to tiger Q

S

stupid

My OS is currently at 10.3.9 and I am considering buying a copy of Tiger. How do I go about installing and making the upgrade, is it simply whack the new disk in and follow on screen installation or are there any pitfalls to be aware of.
I have never updated an OS from a disk before. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Go with the flow.

Put the disk in and let it ride. It's a snap. Just be sure to read the on screen instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your best bet is to do an "Archive and Install". This will install a new copy of Tiger on your machine, but will leave your documents, Preferences and settings, including things like your desktop picture and any custom icons, as they are. When you boot up, the system should look the same and should work the same, well probably faster since it will be a fresh install, and only the new features of Tiger should be obvious.

It will move your old system to a folder named, aptly "Previous System Folder".

I have done this since 10.2 on my G4 Tower and have had much success....

OP
A

AlexN

When you do the Archive and Install, will the new OS apply your old preferences automatically? Or will it be a fresh OS, with a folder called "Previous System Folder"?

just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
just put the dvd in and every thing will happen with a few easy clicks,
i think i just clicked on the update option every thing remained the same.

mohit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Archive and Install simply allows you to save the old System folder in case there are prefs or other things in there that you may want to keep. I always keep it just in case until I know everything works fine and then delete the old system folder.

Reaction score
I was weeks new, into computers, I upgraded without a problem, I still can not get over how easy it was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.