Facetime vs iChat - need some help on this.

Reaction score
Just got my MBP yesterday. Its a 2011 2.0ghz i7 and comes with Facetime. My sister has an older one with iChat.

How can I chat with folks on AIM who dont have a Mac. Do I have to install AIM which means installing Flash. I'd like to avoid that. Is facetime only for folks with Mac or can someone on AIM also video. Is there just chat with it for the folks still in the stone age?

This is all so new...

C

chas_m

Are you trying to say you don't have iChat on your computer? Take another look. I think it's there.

Second, iChat and FaceTime are two entirely different programs. Don't confuse or conflate the two.

iChat works with Yahoo Messenger, GoogleTalk, AIM and Facebook Chat. So if you want to chat (video, audio or typing) with someone on AIM, use iChat. This does not guarantee that the PC user knows how to use the video on their AIM program, but it DOES work.

As far as I know, AIM does *not* require Flash and never has done. Dunno where that came from.

FaceTime is a program that works ONLY with people who have an iPhone 4 *or* a Mac and have *bought* FaceTime from the Mac App Store. Nobody else.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks, I found it yesterday. I realize not all programs are on bottom bar.

This is a real different system..

C

chas_m

Good deal! I love iChat. I also use Skype, which works great with Macs and iOS devices. Now that I finally have an iPhone 4, I can use FaceTime as well, which is just amazing but really not the same as multi-protocol chat programs like Skype, AIM, iChat, Adium etc.

Reaction score
ichat with yahoo messenger?

iChat works with Yahoo Messenger, GoogleTalk, AIM and Facebook Chat. So if you want to chat (video, audio or typing) with someone on AIM, use iChat. This does not guarantee that the PC user knows how to use the video on their AIM program, but it DOES work.

Hi, just got my macbook air with osx lion, how do i go about video chat to a yahoo messenger user on a pc? i've read somehow apple have already support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
I too would like to know the answer to the question asked by aeli9831:

how do i go about video chat to a yahoo messenger user on a pc?
please, please, I am clueless.

Reaction score
FaceTime is a program that works ONLY with people who have an iPhone 4 *or* a Mac and have *bought* FaceTime from the Mac App Store. Nobody else.

Facetime will also work with the latest iPods, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, plus what chas said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
...how do i go about video chat to a yahoo messenger user on a pc?

You use iChat and sign in with a Yahoo Messenger account to connect to them from your iChat app. They would continue to use Yahoo Messenger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.