PDF's won't display in Safari

Reaction score
Whenever I try to view a PDF from within Safari, it opens up a new window but it is blank - all grey. Is anyone else having this problem? I had no problems until recently, so am thinking some sort of update did this. I have the latest version of Adobe Reader (10.1.0). I am on an new iMac, running OS 10.6.8. Safari is version 5.1. I did a software update, but nothing comes up. Any advice would be appreciate, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 mac mini core2duo, snow lepord, 1 gig mem
I am having the same issue. Hope someone can help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I found this older thread discussing a similar issue. Looks like the consistent solution is to delete the PDF Browser plugin from /Library/Internet Plugins. Hope it helps.

OP
N
Reaction score
Update

I found similar threads on Apple's Support Communities (https://discussions.apple.com/message/15680302#15680302). Apparently the problem is that Adobe Reader is not compatible with the latest Safari update (5.1). Apple has posted this:
Apple Safari 5.1 and Adobe Reader/Acrobat Advisory

Some recommended installing the following plugin:
Schubert|it PDF Browser Plugin
I did this and could view PDF's again, but often only for a few minutes and then the screen would go grey again - but I had time to successfully save the PDF to my desktop, so it solved the problem for me, though not perfectly.

I just had to re-install my operating system (Snow Leopard) for an unrelated issue, and am back to Safari 5.0.5. I can now view PDF's within the browser just fine again. I am going to hold off on upgrading to Safari 5.1 because of this issue. So I recommend either going back to Safari 5.0.5 or downloading the schubert plugin. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.