Deleted files, long shot...

Reaction score
OK, so I took some photos (and a couple of videos) with my old Sony DSC T5. I really liked some of the photos and videos and had plans to use them at a later date.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that I transferred the files across to my Mac (early Mac Pro) from the Sony Pro Duo card, directly from the camera via USB.
I didn't return to the actual folder on my Mac for a few months, and in the meantime managed to lose the memory card.

When I checked the files on my Mac I found the photos and video I liked were nowhere to be found, although a lot of my other photos were. It dawned on me that I had probably deleted them from the card using the camera's delete button in error while making space, and then taken more photos.

So... my question is: is it at all possible that the deleted files got transferred from the card to my Mac along with the "visible" undeleted stuff when I copied it all across? I know deleted files still exist in some form, but can deleted files be transferred from a card to a Mac? I was wondering if a file recovery program might find them.

Or, (and I suspect this to be the case) would files deleted from a camera's memory card never be available again unless you had the actual card, rather than just a copy of what was on it, in a folder on a Mac.

If they're gone for good, so be it, but just thought I'd ask before putting it down to experience.

OP
P
Reaction score
...which is actually just a very long-winded way of saying: To recover deleted files do I need access to the original media on which the files were created and subsequently deleted?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, if you lost the card, the files that were deleted are gone forever unless by chance you find the card again. And no, the deleted files would not have been transferred to your Mac Pro.

If you find the card, post back and we can recommend recovery software which possibly can recover the deleted files.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ah, OK, I thought as much, but it was worth a shot. Thanks for the reply and I'll be more careful in future!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OK, so I took some photos (and a couple of videos) with my old Sony DSC T5. I really liked some of the photos and videos and had plans to use them at a later date.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that I transferred the files across to my Mac (early Mac Pro) from the Sony Pro Duo card, directly from the camera via USB.
I didn't return to the actual folder on my Mac for a few months, and in the meantime managed to lose the memory card.

When I checked the files on my Mac I found the photos and video I liked were nowhere to be found, although a lot of my other photos were. It dawned on me that I had probably deleted them from the card using the camera's delete button in error while making space, and then taken more photos.

So... my question is: is it at all possible that the deleted files got transferred from the card to my Mac along with the "visible" undeleted stuff when I copied it all across? I know deleted files still exist in some form, but can deleted files be transferred from a card to a Mac? I was wondering if a file recovery program might find them.

Or, (and I suspect this to be the case) would files deleted from a camera's memory card never be available again unless you had the actual card, rather than just a copy of what was on it, in a folder on a Mac.

If they're gone for good, so be it, but just thought I'd ask before putting it down to experience.

Sorry for your lost files, but all this is another reason not to use USB transfer from camera.
SD Cards (and other formats for that matter) are cheap and readily available. Few things are more frustrating than needing to take that once in a lifetime shot and your memory card is full, so you hurriedly delete files to make room, and sometimes thereby lose pictures you had intended to keep.

For that reason I don't know any Photography enthusiast beyond the basic level (no insults intended, I just don't know any if they exist) who uses direct camera transfer. We keep several (in my case 4) spare cards in our kit and swap them out as they fill, or even as an aid to file management.
Once safely home a Card Reader allows quick and easy import to iPhoto, Aperture, Adobe Lightroom etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
For that reason I don't know any Photography enthusiast beyond the basic level (no insults intended, I just don't know any if they exist) who uses direct camera transfer.

err... Open card slot cover on camera, remove sd card, put camera down somewhere, locate card reader, insert card into reader, connect card reader to mac, transfer files, remove card reader, remove card from reader, replace card in camera, close card clot cover, replace card reader to storage.

or... locate USB lead, plug lead into camera, transfer files, remove lead, replace lead to storage.

No contest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
err... Open card slot cover on camera, remove sd card, put camera down somewhere, locate card reader, insert card into reader, connect card reader to mac, transfer files, remove card reader, remove card from reader, replace card in camera, close card clot cover, replace card reader to storage.

or... locate USB lead, plug lead into camera, transfer files, remove lead, replace lead to storage.

No contest.
You only use one card? ;)

Which, I believe was the implication.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

No contest.

Open card slot cover on camera, remove sd card, take spare sd card from storage case and put in camera. Put full sd card in case for safe keeping. Return to shooting (lost time ~ 30 seconds).
At the end of the day (or at your leisure) locate card reader, insert card(s) into reader, plug card reader to mac, transfer files, remove card reader, remove card from reader, replace card(s) in storage case(s), return card reader to storage (small pocket in camera bag--plus I keep one with my MBP).

or... locate USB lead, plug lead into camera, transfer files, remove lead, replace lead to storage. Lost time (5 minutes minimum, if you have your Laptop with you). More than likely you don't so you are done for the day or faced with the choice of doing a field deletion (thereby losing shots off your card, and possibly mistakenly deleting ones you REALLY wanted).

No contest.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Open card slot cover on camera, remove sd card, take spare sd card from storage case and put in camera. Put full sd card in case for safe keeping. Return to shooting (lost time ~ 30 seconds).
At the end of the day (or at your leisure) locate card reader, insert card(s) into reader, plug card reader to mac, transfer files, remove card reader, remove card from reader, replace card(s) in storage case(s), return card reader to storage (small pocket in camera bag--plus I keep one with my MBP).

or... locate USB lead, plug lead into camera, transfer files, remove lead, replace lead to storage. Lost time (5 minutes minimum, if you have your Laptop with you). More than likely you don't so you are done for the day or faced with the choice of doing a field deletion (thereby losing shots off your card, and possibly mistakenly deleting ones you REALLY wanted).

No contest.

;)

...or you could just use a large capacity card. I could never fill my mine in a week of shooting. Horses for courses I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
OR...if you have a newer iMac...eliminate ( locate cardreader / store cardreader ) +1 for the use of cardreader for file transfer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
OR...if you have a newer iMac...eliminate ( locate cardreader / store cardreader ) +1 for the use of cardreader for file transfer...
They don't have CF readers. Which is a huge disappointment in something branded 'pro' in my opinion ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...or you could just use a large capacity card. I could never fill my mine in a week of shooting. Horses for courses I suppose.

True . . . I use mostly 8gb cards, with a couple of 4gb cards floating around somewhere. And, I will admit I rarely fill one in single shoot (though it has happened). A more likely scenario is I intend to download right after a outing but for one reason or another don't get around to it and the next time I'm out I find myself with a 1/2 full (or worse) SD Card.
Regardless, never my intent to throw stones or insults. And, as you said above, my needs are not necessarily your needs.

Cheers,
Razormac

OP
P
Reaction score
Ah, yes... I realize now I should have been using more than one card - and it filled up because most of my subjects were mountain biking or drag racing, so I took the occasional bits of video as well. But even if I'd been using a card reader (instead of connecting my camera to the Mac) the deleted files would still have remained on the card, I guess?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, yes... I realize now I should have been using more than one card - and it filled up because most of my subjects were mountain biking or drag racing, so I took the occasional bits of video as well. But even if I'd been using a card reader (instead of connecting my camera to the Mac) the deleted files would still have remained on the card, I guess?

The good news in all of this is if you can find your missing card, from my experience you have a respectable chance of recovering your files (depending on how many cycles of use the card has seen since). I have Data Recovery Pro (it came with my SD Card Reader) and it works fairly well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.