Is there a keyboard shortcut for "Save as PDF"?

Reaction score
I do this about 30-40 times a day, and it would be much easier to just type "SHIFT+APPLE+P" or whatever it is rather than File->Print->PDF->Save as PDF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have never really done anything with Automator, but I was just watching a tutorial and believe that it would be fairly simple to create an Automator workflow which will do what you want. There are tutorials all over the web, and I'd suggest looking into it. There may also be a way to create a keyboard shortcut to do what you want, which I'm looking into, but you should also look into this yourself, as you may come up with the solution before I do.

Just go into: preferences>keyboard>keyboard shortcuts

edit: as I was typing the above, I thought to Google for your answer, in hopes that it would show me exactly what the keyboard shortcut would be, and whaddia know:

MacSparky - Blog - Keyboard Shortcut for "Save as PDF..." in OS X

Let me know if it works for you, and enjoy! Oh, you don't have to use command+P by the way (you'll see what I mean).. it can be any key combo as long as it doesn't conflict with another keyboard shortcut. You do however have to use the ellipses, and they are NOT 3 periods in a row:

... … As you can see, there's a difference.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Just go into: preferences>keyboard>keyboard shortcuts

edit: as I was typing the above, I thought to Google for your answer, in hopes that it would show me exactly what the keyboard shortcut would be, and whaddia know:

MacSparky - Blog - Keyboard Shortcut for "Save as PDF..." in OS*X

Let me know if it works for you, and enjoy! Oh, you don't have to use command+P by the way (you'll see what I mean).. it can be any key combo as long as it doesn't conflict with another keyboard shortcut. You do however have to use the ellipses, and they are NOT 3 periods in a row:

... … As you can see, there's a difference.

Doug
Thanks Doug. I was looking for a shortcut for saving PDFs as well. The approach described in the link works like a charm and takes you straight to the Finder Save As dialog box after creating the PDF.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm glad it worked out and happy to help!

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.