How to open rar. files? And what the heck are they anyway?

Reaction score
When I see a list of rar. files that say part 1 or part 2 of something-or-other etc., does that mean that one has to download all of those files in order to see what they are?
I tried opening individual rar. files with a free rar. 'expander' that I downloaded from the internet, but couldn't extract anything.
Are rar. files somehow a series of links that must all be opened at once. This is puzzlement.
Can anyone explain, and maybe recommend a program that can open them easily on an iMac running Snow Leopard?
TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When I see a list of rar. files that say part 1 or part 2 of something-or-other etc., does that mean that one has to download all of those files in order to see what they are?
I tried opening individual rar. files with a free rar. 'expander' that I downloaded from the internet, but couldn't extract anything.
Are rar. files somehow a series of links that must all be opened at once. This is puzzlement.
Can anyone explain, and maybe recommend a program that can open them easily on an iMac running Snow Leopard?
TIA

RAR files are much like zip files, but they can come in multiple parts to facilitate being emailed one part at a time to circumvent limits in attachment sizes. When you open one part of a multi-part RAR set, it will look for the others. You don't have to open anything in order… opening any one will be fine… but you must have them all. The Unarchiver and UnRarX are two tools that will open these up.

OP
G
Reaction score
RAR files are much like zip files, but they can come in multiple parts to facilitate being emailed one part at a time to circumvent limits in attachment sizes. When you open one part of a multi-part RAR set, it will look for the others. You don't have to open anything in order… opening any one will be fine… but you must have them all. The Unarchiver and UnRarX are two tools that will open these up.

Thanks a bunch for quick answer. That helps.

Cheers...
Lindsay Gray

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Moving thread as this doesn't have anything to do with photography, images, or photography.

C

chas_m

The larger question here is "why would you download something when you don't know what it is??"

This is how viruses spread (on the PC).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
You can use a program called UnRaR X for the mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.