removing attachments from body of text - Mac Mail

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac Mail and am testing the waters somewhat.

I sent a mail with 3 text attachments there, to another web based account, and I noticed before I sent it, the attachments were appearing in the main body as icons. When the mail was received there was a large gap before my text started, the gap being the place where the icons were but not showing.

I was wondering is there anyway you can remove the icons from the main body of the text, and just have the attachments as normal, as in gmail/hotmail?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Well I sit here like a cartoon with smoke coming out of my ears. For months I had problems with Mac Mail and the whole attachment thing. I do photo montaging and conceptual art and every time I send a jpeg or for that matter any image attachment other than a pdf to my employer, I would get these frantic email messages and phone calls that the images were imbedded and could not be saved.

After many frustrating searches and wasted time, and even after trying the "send window friendly attachments" route, I finally found that the answer was to right click on the image in my email and choose to have it display as an icon.

That worked really well for a while. All of sudden within the past couple of days, everything I send is once more being imbedded in the body of the mail. I have made no changes to my preferences or settings and it is really annoying not to mention a huge waste of time, that I now have to go directly into my gmail account (not the account I work from) to send the email as "saveable" attachments.

So - I was about to post another query as to whether anyone else has had MacMail go haywire on them and found your post. You can try the solutions that worked for me before, as listed above - but since they no longer seem to be working for me, I am hoping that someone somewhere will read this and have another solution. Mumble ....mumble... fume... fume...:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thank you - could not wait - downloaded it the minute I read your response. Nothing showing up so far on my mail menu bar after installation, but I am sure once I have a moment to read the instructions (that always helps :) ) it will work just fine!
Brilliant! :)) Planning to upgrade to Lion so hoping it is compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.