Windows 7 Service Pack 1 inside Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello, Forum

To put it bluntly, I have Windows 7 that I upgraded from Windows XP on BOOTCAMP (Snow Leopard, 2008 MacBook Pro). I did all the work arounds to get things working properly, but upon installation of Windows 7 SP1, I can't boot into ANYTHING including the OS X partition! (with the ALT-OPTION boot key)

Has any one else experienced this? I have read multiple articles regarding the crap that is SP1.

If anyone has found a solution to this, I need it BADLY. The Mac is my work computer!!

:EDIT: I have worked out a solution among my worry, and will post this in case anyone else has this problem with a similar problem on a like machine. It was very simple.

SYMPTOPMS (when booting in Windows is your default OS):
- Windows 7 crashes or restarts when it reaches 30% during the installation of Service Pack 1, step 3, then hangs upon reboot. (BOOTCAMP 3.1)
- Upon restarting, the hard drive spins up, but no OS is loaded, and the screen hangs in the gray start screen seen when initially starting the Mac.
- When holding the OPTION key, no selections appear to boot in OS X or Windows.

SOLUTION (could be specific to my machine):
- Un-hook all devices and external drives, power, keyboard, etc.
- Power machine on and hold F8. This boots into 'advanced mode' where you can access safe mode and an option to roll back to a restoration point.
- Roll back to a restoration point or previous point of a functional OS, then reboot.

NOTE - the computer may have restarted as part of Windows' update process. I recommend selecting the option "START WINDOWS NORMALLY" first, in case the computer got confused when trying to restart. This will finish any update processes, and could sort things back out.

Thanks in advance,
~Cory

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you hold down the Option key at startup, exactly what happens?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.