New Mac user want to format?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new to Mac and not enjoying the experience so far. Bought a refurb mini mac 2.4ghz, 8gb Ram with Lion installed and the os x 6 "SL" discs included.

I haven't done much more than turn it on as I already know the key sample software I use requires the Kontakt player and that won't support Lion until September at least.

I thought it would be a simple job of re-installing Snow leopard from my Discs but I get to through choosing language etc then get a message "Mac osx can not start up from this disk". From searching others are having this problem.

As I have not put anything on my mac mini yet a clean install would be no problem, but my head is spinning from searching as it goes into all different problems.

In the "stickys" above and through searches I have been given a link to a PC site with an explanation it appears but Internet Explorer keeps reporting a problem and I can't get to read the site?

I'm not knocking Mac, many have said how great it is for music, but I am getting a little despondent, I have never had a problem formatting re-installing Os's old and new or finding the info easily when I get a problem.

Any help appreciated:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Boot from your Snow Leopard disk. It'll take a few minutes then you'll be prompted to select a language.
Now the install OSX screen will appear.

At the top of the screen select Utilities -> Disk Utility

Click on your hard disk (top left on the sidebar) and then click the erase tab.

Enter a name for the disk and make sure the format type is Mac OS Extentend (journaled)
Click erase then confirm and the drive will be formatted.

Once done quit disk utility and the install panel will reappear.

Continue the install as normal and Snow Leopard should install without any further issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
Boot from your Snow Leopard disk. It'll take a few minutes then you'll be prompted to select a language.
Now the install OSX screen will appear.

At the top of the screen select Utilities -> Disk Utility

Click on your hard disk (top left on the sidebar) and then click the erase tab.

Enter a name for the disk and make sure the format type is Mac OS Extentend (journaled)
Click erase then confirm and the drive will be formatted.

Once done quit disk utility and the install panel will reappear.

Continue the install as normal and Snow Leopard should install without any further issue.

Wow, you are my hero. Clear instructions and as I type I have "Installing" in progress. Thank you very much.

Szaxe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Good stuff, thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.