Mac won't shut down

Reaction score
I am new to Mac and am having problems with my new Mac not shutting down automatically. When I try to close down it just keeps on with the small wheel turning I have to close down manually. Have I got a setting wrong. Also can't insert a disc into my dvd drive is this a setting or bad drive. I went back to local apple agent where I purchased and they told me it would take 2 months to fix as they have to send it away. I don't want to be without computer for two months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
What kind of Mac do you have? Please provide all of the details of the unit that you own. It sure sounds like there is a problem. It should shut down pretty quickly. As well it also sounds like you have a problem with the disk drive. The issues may or may not be related. Did you buy it used or new? Have you added any software or anything else to your system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depending on precisely how old the machine is, contact Apple by phone in your local area. Describe your problems and bitterly complaint two months is completely out of the question and if less than one month old you want it exchanged.

How far is it to an Apple store, if available?

C

chas_m

Contrary to harryb's advice, I would try being patient and polite first, but yes you should call Apple. Two months is ridiculous unless you are living in the Yukon or some such remote location.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two months is ridiculous unless you are living in the Yukon or some such remote location.

Heyyy...I think we have one of those (where's McYukon)!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The OP didn't say where he lives, but I agree with 2 months being a long time to be without a machine. It's also likely it wasn't purchased from an Apple store but rather from an Apple dealer.

I also agree with chas_m (one of those rare times.... ;) ) that being polite will accomplish more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.