Amazon is a yes or a no?

Reaction score
Hi, about to purchase a macbook pro and I see that Amazon sells them as well.

Is this a good route to go? Do they still charge tax if you purchase through amazon?

Thanks for your help in advance, very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
You most likely won't get the Apple care/support that Apple offers. But check to be sure.

I have a hard time purchasing anything Apple from anywhere other than the Apple website or an Authorized Apple dealer. Even off Ebay........ won't even go there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You most likely won't get the Apple care/support that Apple offers. But check to be sure.

Ah… yes you will. New is new, whether you buy it from Apple direct, Best Buy, or Amazon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ah… yes you will. New is new, whether you buy it from Apple direct, Best Buy, or Amazon.

Probably thinking of ebay then.... my bad. Carry on.

But..... I still wouldn't feel right buying an Apple from Amazon. It's ike buying a Mercedez from a Kia dealership... just feels wrong. But that's just me. ;D

:Lips-Are-Sealed:

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, back to my original question : the sales tax?

On amazon it has the apple number you can call and speak to them, you get applecare and it says sold by apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Amazon will charge you whatever state tax you pay on your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi, back to my original question : the sales tax?

Drop it in your cart and proceed to the point where you get a total. That will answer your question more definitively. You can always back out and cancel.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Amazon will charge you whatever state tax you pay on your purchase.

No they won't. It depends on the state. I purchase quite a bit from Amazon and I'm never charged Texas sales tax. I believe the only state that is really enforcing on line sales tax is California.

C

chas_m

Amazon is by Federal law obligated to collect state sales tax on ANY items they sell to customers who live in a state *where they have a physical presence* -- including just warehouses. This applies to ALL online sellers (Apple, Microsoft, etc).

There are no ifs, ands or buts about this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512?tag=macforums0e4-20

Amazon does not have any facilities in TX, which is why you're not getting charged tax. Consider yourself lucky for now, because that probably won't last forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I bought two 13" mbp's a few months ago. No tax, no shipping. I also bought apple care for both. Only thing I couldn't do was buy one on one. No biggie, though. I have this forum for custom assistance.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Amazon is an authorized seller for most (but not all) Apple products. If you buy from an authorized seller you have exactly the same rights as if you purchased directly from Apple.
However, Amazon also acts as a front store for resellers, so you need to make sure the item you are buying is sold and fulfilled by Amazon. If so (and the product is one of the ones Amazon is authorized to sell) then you are home free. If not, you have to check to see if the actual seller is on the authorized list (not likely or they wouldn't be selling through Amazon).

In either case it is almost certain you won't end up paying sales tax (unless you live in California). I buy a lot from Amazon and have for years (including 2 Macbooks, a MacMini and an Apple TV2) and have never paid sales tax on Amazon purchases. I have AppleCare on all of the above too (with the exception of the ATV2).
HTH
Razormac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I bought a mbp from Amazon in the spring. It's the same as buying it from Apple. I even was able to purchase the Apple Care at a reduced price from them.
We did go to the genius bar for a question and it was covered.
As far as sales tax is concerned, it depends on your state. Most states don't charge sales tax. My wonderful governor decided we should have to pay so we do. But all the states around us don't.
There is, IMHO, no problem with buying Apple products from Amazon, especially if you can save the tax.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a mbp from Amazon in the spring. It's the same as buying it from Apple.

Not to belabor the point, but this is not strictly true. You have to check Apple's list of authorized sellers for the product you are interested, and then you have to make sure the item is actually being sold by Amazon (not true of everything they sell.)

EDIT: Added link on how to find authorized resellers. And, the second link shows Amazon, but also that Amazon is NOT and authorized reseller for iPad. In your case it is for Macs

http://www.apple.com/buy/

http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/catalog/

EDIT 2: This quote is direct from Apple,
"Please be aware that if you purchase a product over the Internet or through a catalog from a Reseller who is not on this list, you are not buying from a reseller authorized by Apple to make Internet or catalog sales."

Reaction score
in short Amazon is authorized for macs and they will not charge sales tax if your state does not have a local presence...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Amazon is by Federal law obligated to collect state sales tax on ANY items they sell to customers who live in a state *where they have a physical presence* -- including just warehouses. This applies to ALL online sellers (Apple, Microsoft, etc).

There are no ifs, ands or buts about this.

Amazon.com Help: Sales Tax

Amazon does not have any facilities in TX, which is why you're not getting charged tax. Consider yourself lucky for now, because that probably won't last forever.

True, but the State has the option not to require sales tax. Here in AZ, Amazon has 4 warehouses and we are not charged sales tax for items ordered through amazon.com. Amazon high-tailed it out of CA because CA started collecting sales tax. It depends where you live and your state's decision on the matter.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2011/07/19/lack-of-internet-sales-tax-pits-small-retailers-vs-online-giants/

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in short Amazon is authorized for macs and they will not charge sales tax if your state does not have a local presence...

Again, need to be aware that just because you are buying it ON Amazon doesn't mean you are buying FROM Amazon. Crititical difference that you have to check on every purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.