Macbook Pro 13 fan issue, Applecare questions

Reaction score
I bought my Macbook Pro 13 when they came out with the line in fall 2009.
I have a few issues I want to get checked out before my Applecare plan expires. I want to know if anyone has any information or experience with these problems (e.g. are they common problems on this model?) and if anyone knows if Apple will be cool with my Applecare plan and run some diagnostics and fix whatever problems I have fo free

So the biggest problem is the fan. I used to be able to hear it (although barely) if I wanted to when the computer got very hot (downloading, video streaming, etc). Now I never hear it and I suspect it just doesnt run, and the computer gets very hot (my stat widget says cpou runs at 190F plus, sometimes...). Any experience with this or recommended solutions? Will Applecare deal with this problem for me, and could the heat have done any other damage to my components?

Second issue - the sensitivity of the mouseclick on my trackpad is terrible. It often "unclicks" when Im trying to highlight text or drag and drop. Same questions - any experience, solutions, will applecare plan fix?

Final issue - the headphone port (which is also the mic jack, and it is analog/digital) is "loose" - I can put my headphones in and it works, but they dont "snap" in securely.

Thank you everyone for any help you can provide

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All of the items you mention should be covered under Apple care. Make an appointment first and then bring it on in and have them check it out. Write down what issues you're having and give it to the genius who is assigned to your machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the problems have remedies? I remember reading something about resetting SMC (what is SMC, and why/how do you reset it?). I also remember reading something about applications that allow you to control the fans. Any suggestions on this stuff?

Not on my computer now, but I am going to run a hardware diagnostic tonight (the thing where you start it up and hold down d?) and see if it says anything.

Also, does anyone have any idea of the turn around times for repairs using Applecare? Obviously Im sure it depends on the store, business, and the problem - but do they usually fix it on site, or send it in? are we talking hours or days? Im a student, cant be without my computer for too long...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Here is the data for the SMC reset

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

I would not use any fan controller software on your computer. My guess is that the fan is dirty and needs to be cleaned. I think this will be determined at the Apple store.

The system is capable of taking care of itself as far as heat goes without third party intervention.

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.