Disk size defugality on Macbook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have a new MacBook Air with a 120 gb ssd.

Looking at the About your Mac, it says I have 65 gb available.

In finder, Macintosh HD shows to have 55 gb available.

Clicking on Info for the Macintosh HD gives me 81 gb available.

The Unix df command gives me 111 gb available (which can't be even close)

The Unix du command gives 91 gb.

I get the impression that the new SSDs have characteristics that confuse the normal spinning platter size utilities.

Unless Lion has greatly changed size from Snow Leopard, my out of the box usage should be around 50 gb with 70 gb available.

Insights, anyone?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not really seeing the differences on my 256 GB MBA folks are reporting on the 128.

System Profiler (System Information on Lion) and Get Info both report the same thing.
(Guess they've had so many Windows users buying Macs they decided the name needed changing.)

Don't personally use terminal for anything that doesn't require it - but What Size reports an 18GB smaller drive size than the two above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yea, how much over-provisioning there is (and whether they include it in marketed size or not) is completely up to the manufacturer of the drive. Don't get me wrong, the over-provisioning is a good thing. I just think it's disingenuous to include it as 'usable' size as is inferred by marketing.

I'd check terminal, I don't use finder if I can avoid it, but I don't have an SSD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.