G5 CD - Rom Issues

Reaction score
I have a G5 2.3 dual \ 6 gb ram \ 2 TB HD \ Tiger 10.4.3. and it seems the more i use the CD-RW to listen to music or record my CD-RW starts to act strange. Sometimes when I hit the eject button on the keyboard it opens and sometimes it dosent. Other times I hit the eject key and it opens real quicky and closes before I can get the CD out, then when i press the eject key again, then it opens and stays open long enough to get the CD out.

I swapped out the drive twice with other CD-RW drives that came out of other G5's and they all do the same thing. Whats up with that ???!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I swapped out the drive twice with other CD-RW drives that came out of other G5's and they all do the same thing. Whats up with that ???!!!

All of these drives you mention are at least 5-6 years old (possibly older)...and if they've seen lots & lots of use they may simply be wearing out. CD/DVD drives & hard drives are highly mechanical devices (lots of moving parts)...so are very prone to wear.

If you really want to resolve this...purchasing a brand new CD/DVD drive is probably the best solution. For just $32.99 from these guys:

LG GH22LP21 Internal DVD/CD 'Super-MultiDrive' DVD... in stock at OWC

...you would be good to go...and this drive would probably be an upgrade as well.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.