I'm having a problem with video playback on my iMac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What do you see? Black screen? Any sound? Only issue here is choppy playback as that site here is very slow at getting the movie to my browser so there are pauses.

Do you have Perian installed? The videos are mp4's. If you install Perian it should play.

C

chas_m

Same here, DTravis. Choppy, but I can see and hear it just fine, particularly if I let it load. And I'm on a 2007 Blackbook

Most likely a Flash issue, judging from my fans. :)

Reaction score
I use Safari "Webkit" with clicktoflash, it opens with Quicktime and is crystal clear..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, if I let a bit load first, it's smooth on my iMac. The jerkiness here was it running out of data and having to pause to catch up.

It is playing it in Flash.

C

chas_m

As jram notes, the video plays in Flash by default but if you deactivate Flash as he's done, it "falls back" to HTML5 (which probably runs better!).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As jram notes, the video plays in Flash by default but if you deactivate Flash as he's done, it "falls back" to HTML5 (which probably runs better!).

I tried it in Firefox 5 which I have set up that way and it played the MP4 and looked GREAT. I have not tried Click To Flash yet in Lion. I guess I should! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I really don't know how to trouble shoot your problem. I am running Safari on Lion with whatever comes with the laptop. (By that I mean no special software at all.) All videos on all of the sites that you referenced worked just great. I didn't have any problems at all.

Did you try in Safari? It may not work very well in that either. Safari is a much better browser in Lion than it was in SL so that may not tell you much.

Do you have any software that has been added to enhance or help with downloads or do you have any AV software active? Gosh I really don't know what to look at. Obviously others with more skill are going to have to chip in.

At least you know it's not the websites. At least at this time of night. All videos worked just fine on my connection.

Regards,

Pat

C

chas_m

The OP has already been given the answer -- in fact, he's been given two answers, both of which will work. It's up to him to read, understand and follow through.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.