Ibook g4 kernal panic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I got an ibook g4 the 2 days ago and today it started getting kernal panics every hour or so. When I restart the computer it either does it at the login screen where you type in your password or after it logs in. I tried repairing disk permissions and and resetting the pmu/pram. How can i fix this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The ram may be bad...or someone installed non-comaptible ram. Ram is one of the top "culprits" when it comes to kernel panics.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does have a 512 in system profiler that is not built in and it says the status is ok. and i was able to get a copy of tech tool deluxe off of my macbook pro apple care disk and it said that every thing passed except for the surface scan that had 120 errors. I am runnning into an issue where i cannnot restore the computer because it only has a cd drive and the restore disk is a dvd drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does have a 512 in system profiler that is not built in and it says the status is ok. and i was able to get a copy of tech tool deluxe off of my macbook pro apple care disk and it said that every thing passed except for the surface scan that had 120 errors. I am runnning into an issue where i cannnot restore the computer because it only has a cd drive and the restore disk is a dvd drive.

If this iBook has any ram installed in ram expansion slots (under the keyboard area I believe)...pull it all out. Most iBooks have 128-256meg of soldered in "logic board" ram.

After pulling the ram, boot the computer...and see if you still get kernel panics.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try that in about half an hour.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I took the stick of ram out and it was a brand i had never heard of and it actually runs faster with the 256 then when the 512 stick was in it also. I was going to be adding a 1gb stick anyway. I will report back tomarrow. I hope this is the only issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I took the stick of ram out and it was a brand i had never heard of and it actually runs faster with the 256 then when the 512 stick was in it also. I was going to be adding a 1gb stick anyway. I will report back tomarrow. I hope this is the only issue.

Sounds positive so far...good luck.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It hasn't gotten the kernal panic yet today and i have used it all morning. I am probably going to get new ram tonight.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It hasn't gotten the kernal panic yet today and i have used it all morning. I am probably going to get new ram tonight.

Good deal!:) Bad ram or incompatible ram many times is the source of kernel panics. ESPECIALLY when someone has just a purchased or acquired a "new to them" Macintosh computer...and have no idea of it's upgrade history.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.