Hooking up my Violin to my Macbook Pro

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm quite new at all this sound stuff, but I'd like to hook up my violin to my macbook pro and I have NO idea how.

I am planning on buying this pick up...
LR Baggs Violin Pickups: Best Prices in Canada

So how do I get this pick up attached to my macbook?

Not quite sure I have your question right. You don't attach the pickup to your MacBook Pro, it is integral with a new Bridge which is installed on your violin. It doesn't mention a pre-amp or anything like that, but after you have it installed you would then use a cable and adaptor from the audio output from the Pickup to the Line Input on your MBP (unless you decided to be more sophisticated and use a pre-amp and/or mixer).
Regardless, not really my area of expertise. When Robduckyworth sees this post he will problem weigh in with more informed advice.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes sorry, that's what i meant.
Once the pick up is installed with the bridge etc. I don't know how to attach it to the macbook.

It's this cable, adapter stuff that i have no idea about.

Also i can't say I have an input line. I just see the mic jack.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes sorry, that's what i meant.
Once the pick up is installed with the bridge etc. I don't know how to attach it to the macbook.

It's this cable, adapter stuff that i have no idea about.

Also i can't say I have an input line. I just see the mic jack.

Audio Input (Line Input) is next to the Mic Jack

EDIT: If you have a new 13 inch MBP the Audio Input and Mic Jack are the same port (change configuration in settings for input instead of output)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
IMHO that pickup is a waste of time and money.

It costs $200, then you most probably have to pay someone to fit it. you would probably need an interface aswell, depending on the connections it offers.

It is designed for live performances with an intent to amplify your violin in large spaces.

im guessing you wish to connect your violin to your MBP to record. So:

you should use a good, quality condenser microphone such as a Rhode NT1-A or a AKG C-414. however you can buy cheaper mics than this, but im using them as an example.

you also need a quality, phantom powered interface in order to accept an XLR connector and to power the circuitry inside the microphone.
you can avoid having to buy an interface by buying a USB microphone. but, if you want quality, an interface will have better pre-amps and should give a nicer sound overall.

to be honest, this will probably set you back 100-150$. This is how I would record it. and it involves no intrusion to your instrument. And quality wise, this method would be more superior.

Reaction score
you will have fun

I have recorded hours of Violin or Fiddle (Bluegrass). It can be a difficult instrumemt to capture. Plugging staright in will indeed record everything but if you become critical of your tone. Do not dump more $ in a p/u. You will need to get a microphone, a mic stand a cable and small preamp and find yourselfg a nice corner to record yourself. Fiddle's can come across very "thin" sounding. So there are ways to deminish that and maybe sound apealing. Look into a Ribbon microphone, it will naturally roll off some of the harsher brittle tones that can be generated. Again I would only recomend entry level gear to start out, it is very easy to get caught up throwing away weekly checks in recording gear. Although I have microphnes worth more than my car stay at the low end if shopping. American Musical Supply.com and Musicians Friend.com are easy places to start - theyhave more of the inexpensive gear there. Guitar Centers and Sam Ash have more mid priced gear so Thats my recomedededation. And running performances side by side can also be nice, record 1 channel via direct(from the pick up) and the other via Mic'd sorry for dragging this out - I am sure you will fun no matter what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
I saw on youtube you can use iPad or iPhone accessories (such as IK's iRig or Peavey's AmpKit Link)to plug a instrument in for recording and monitoring at same time

I think most violin pick-ups are Hi-z. It'd be good idea to use those adapter 'coz they have built-in impedance matching circuit in them.

In my opinion I prefer AmpKit 'coz it's Active circuit

these are youtube links (they demonstrate with guitar)

iRig into Macbook Pro.mov - YouTube

Garageband, iRig and the new Macbook Air (2010) - YouTube

this one is DIY

My DIY iRig - Guitar Interface Cable for iPod Touch/iPad - YouTube

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.