Can i connect my macbook pro directly to my directv box or only the tv?

Reaction score
I bought a "mini displayport to HDMI adaptor," for my parents HD TV. Unfortunately, after purchasing this, i came to find the the television does NOT have an HDMI port. I guess its a little bit too old. But my parents have an HD DVR Directv box that does have an HDMI port. So i am wondering if its possible to connect my Macbook pro directly to the box. If not, it looks like i need to go get some different cords. Any help is appreciated! thanks!

Reaction score
Yes it should work fine as long as the box is connected to the TV correctly. Also, if using a DVD player, you might have to play around in the settings to tell it that you are going through the box and not the TV.

Hope this helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No....

As far as I am aware, that HDMI on your DirecTV, DishNetwork and all cable boxes is a video "out" port, not a video "in".

Reaction score
I use the cable box in my house that is connected to the TV to connect my macbook pro, but as bobtomay said, make sure it is video in, not out. If it is, it should work. Anyways, if you are unsure, it wouldn´t hurt to try it out and see what happens...

Hopes this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.