My first Mac, a mini? Development focused...

btx

Reaction score
I am a PC user wanting a Mac as a secondary machine. I'm an engineer, so Xcode is my primarily interest. I may also do some garage band (and use my Line 6 Pod Studio with my guitar) and some general purpose stuff. Minor video editing is possible, but will be a rare task. Gaming will stick with my PC. I've been trying to figure out what the right Mac for me is. I like the iMac, but it is a ton of money and a bunch of desktop clutter I don't need, so I am leaning towards either the low end mini + 8GB ram or the mid range mini.

So, between the option of the low end and mid range if I stick ram in it -- I'm guessing I should go with the low end. I'm doubtful the processor will make a significant different and as there is no gaming, I am assuming that the Sandybridge graphics will be suitable. Am I thinking correctly? Is this likely to make me sad? Thanks for any advice.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since you intend to keep your PC and use the Mac as a secondary machine..the mini definitely makes the most sense..

The 2.3 Ghz i5 Mini with 2 GB at $599 is a perfectly good option for you. You can buy and RAM separately and upgrade it yourself. Don't pay for that through Apple..

I began my adventures with Macs in a similar fashion, albeit with a 2006 Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core2Duo machine that managed Xcode no problem..as I found myself using the Mac more and more, I decided to sell the mini and upgrade to an i7 iMac as my primary machine..

As long as your current monitor sports dual DVI (assuming you are currently using DVI with your PC) you should be good to go. You'll need to get a KVM to connect the keyboard, mouse and monitor to both machines and I had very good luck with a IOGear KVM that even did the audio sharing..

OP
B

btx

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly...my Samsung LCD has a DVI port (occupied) and a VGA port. I was planning on either getting a KVM or hooking the mini up to the VGA port.

So, the low end mac + 8GB ram it is. Thanks for the help.

Just curious...which IOGear KVM have you been happy with? Audio is the trickiest problem in my setup.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Mac Mini will output DVI and DisplayPort..you can convert DVI to VGA..but then you'd need to share the keyboard, mouse and audio..and if you are going to get a KVM anyway, might as well stick with DVI for all..

You can pick put he 8GB RAM from either Crucial (my recommendation) or OWC..

The IOGear I used is no longer available: Newegg.com - IOGEAR GCS942UW6 Hybrid DVI-D KVM with Cables and Audio

But you might try other IOGear KVM's..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.