Aperture vs lightroom

Reaction score
Any thoughts as to which one i should buy? I had an early version of aperture years ago. But im in the market again and recently saw a pro photographer (not pro editor) using Lightroom 3. I was very impressed with it and recall that Aperture was overly intricate and not as user friendly as Lightroom. But online its "all about" Aperture. Which one to get and why?
Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Any thoughts as to which one i should buy? I had an early version of aperture years ago. But im in the market again and recently saw a pro photographer (not pro editor) using Lightroom 3. I was very impressed with it and recall that Aperture was overly intricate and not as user friendly as Lightroom. But online its "all about" Aperture. Which one to get and why?
Thanks

If you do a forum search you will find this has been discussed many times.

Bottomline: download trial versions and see for yourself which one you prefer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If you do a forum search you will find this has been discussed many times.

Bottomline: download trial versions and see for yourself which one you prefer.

+1

I have both and prefer Lightroom.

Doug

P.S. Don't download both and use at the same time. You won't have enough time to make such a decision. Heck... 14 days is hardly enough time to decide on one, really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Yep, easiest way to do it is to use the 30 day trials and see which you prefer. 2 months of free software is a pretty good deal and it gives you plenty of time to get to know the programs enough to make your own decision. Neither outperforms the other in any significant way.

I much prefer Lightroom over Aperture. I found it much easier to navigate - probably more because I'm well acquainted with the other Adobe products than anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
We Mac users have the luxury of being able to choose between Aperture, Lightroom, and other editing/organizing apps. So what about you? Did you switch from one to the other, or have you been Aperture- or Lightroom- (or other-) only from the start?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread when there is already a thread on this same subject. Search first. Thread has been merged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Please do not start a new thread when there is already a thread on this same subject. Search first. Thread has been merged.
I had actually created a poll on this subject, with 6 different answers to choose from, but it has disappeared. It was designed to gather information, not re-hash old subjects. I also did some searches on this forum prior to creating the poll, like "aperture vs lightroom poll" or "aperture poll", but no results/relevant results came up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I have tried both and prefer Lightroom. I really, really wanted to like Aperture but found it too slow on my macbook. Aperture is very very resource intensive and likes to use the GPU more then the CPU. If my primary mac was an iMac i might have went with Aperture but lightroom seemed more refined and twice as fast as Aperture. Both are very good but for me Lightroom was better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.