itunes fix from time machine?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've accidently removed some of my itunes library, a big chunk of it and am wondering if I can restore it from my time machine backups or do I have to download it all again from the original source?

I'm hoping I can just go in time machine and restore it but not sure if it will work like that with itunes.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If you open the /Users/yourusername/Music folder and then activate Time Machine, you'll see all the previous versions of your Music folder. Choose one that you know is good and click the Restore button, and it'll replace your current library with the one from your backup.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks.
I would go into finder to open the user/username/music folder?

I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just checked and in the music folder there is an itunes folder, I guess it's this one I'd restore, or do I have to look for a folder named 'itunes library'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Nope that's it... if you restore the entire iTunes folder, you'll get the library files and all the music should be in the correct place.

So here's what I did. Once the backup drive was connected...

1. Browse to /Users/yourusername/Music
2. From Spotlight (top right corner of screen) I typed in Time Machine. It should come up as the top hit.
3. Time Machine opens its spacescape with the iTunes folder in the foreground and windows extending back in time.
4. Use the date scroll on the right edge to choose which backup you would like to restore. Could be yesterday, could be last week - up to you.
5. Click the Restore button.
6. (something happens)
7. Profit!!

Hope you're able to get everything restored!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.