• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple seen merging iOS, Mac OS X with custom A6 chip in 2012

Reaction score
Apple seen merging iOS, Mac OS X with custom A6 chip in 2012

Apple is looking to merge its iOS and Mac OS X operating systems into one unified platform for applications and cloud services as soon as next year starting with the MacBook Air, one Wall Street analyst believes.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
2012 seems too soon to me. Maybe the latter half? Or 2013? Maybe 2014?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have my doubts this will happen anytime soon. I think the OS evolutionary process that merges OS X and iOS is not as near as many speculate. IMO Apple will test the waters with the way things are now in Lion and see how that goes.

Maybe 5 yrs from now??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I'm sketchy about this as well... Apple made the jump from the Motorola processors to the IBM PowerPC chips in 97, and then from IBM processors to Intel in 2006. They made a pretty big deal about using the same processors that every other PC maker used. I would be very surprised if Apple pushed their computer line back to a proprietary chipset. Yes I know the iPhone and iPads are using proprietary chips, but I just don't see it for computers, at least not in the near future.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If OSX becomes IOS, I am going to have to jump ship. I am not keen on ARM cpu's in my desktop machine either. I know why they are doing this but I better not say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
. . . . I know why they are doing this but I better not say.

You can't be doing that to us ;P Especially in a Rumours Thread

Its like taking a kid into a sweets shoppe and telling him you can't have one . . .
Come on Dennis

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I have to agree with dtravis7 here, although I don't know why Apple may be doing this. I don't like the idea of ARM processors in devices other then embedded use (ie: iPhone, iPad, iPod, CNC controllers, etc. to me is great as the processors meet the needs well) - but for desktop and laptop use, I just don't like the idea of having ARM chips.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If OSX becomes IOS, I am going to have to jump ship. I am not keen on ARM cpu's in my desktop machine either. I know why they are doing this but I better not say.
I agree, I'll have to go to Windows.. as much as that pains me. I don't use my machine to simply 'surf' and check email etc. Nor is it a kiosk for online media. Oh, and I'm NOT going to go out and buy a Pro just to actually work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dysfunction, +Rep for you. It says I have given you too much, so here you go! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If I said what Is on my mind, it would cause a war especially with some users. So I will hold back. Most people will like it in fact, but I am not one of them.

Will just post this url. People want Google Chrome OS on their Macs?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...275-check-out-new-icloud-web-apps-action.html
So I've taken a look at this video, I'm unimpressed. Other than the iWork implementation, it's identical to the current mobileme offering. I'm really unsure how we get the 'Apple has stepped up from the mobileme ...' (paraphrased). It's pretty much identical from the screen capture. Seriously. That being said, there is value in a unified email/calendar/contacts, I'm not sure I see any value outside that at this point. I'm going to seriously doubt I'll want to run photoshop/indesign/illustrator etc from the cloud.

Oh and I'm generally pro-cloud ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I suppose you could say it is better because the MobileMe applications are now free under iCloud. Hopefully the syncing will be improved as I have had a few instances of iCal not syncing 100% under MobileMe.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Before anyone gets too bent out of shape, keep in mind where it's coming from.... an industry analyst. These prognosticators have no more valid of an opinion than you and I. They're not journalists, nor do they have access to any insider information (at least not from Apple).

x86 is scaling down and ARM is scaling up. I'm certain that at some point in the future, ARM will start making its way into an Apple-branded laptop form factor, but it won't be anytime soon.... certainly not in 2012.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Before anyone gets too bent out of shape, keep in mind where it's coming from.... an industry analyst. These prognosticators have no more valid of an opinion than you and I. They're not journalists, nor do they have access to any insider information (at least not from Apple).

Agreed. This guy is speculating and using circular logic that has nothing to do with any insider information. If you read the article, he sounds like a gypsy fortune teller. Apple just released Lion and expunged all non-Intel code out of it. They aren't going to come back in a year and say "OK. We're putting ARM code in it now." There is WAAAAAY too much value in having Intel systems available as a carrot for people considering the switch.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have heard there is some ARM code in OSX. Time will tell but like CWA said it won't be this soon. It's going to take a while for the ARM CPU to be ready also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also don't assume a merger of OSX and iOS necessarily means it will look or behave exactly as iOS does today. They are already getting closer together, it wouldn't take that much of a leap to throw them into one official codebase with different behaviors/capabilities based on form factors.

Much like most rumors and people's reactions, let's not overreact to something that is complete conjecture and based on very little fact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.