Power Mac info needed

Reaction score
Im new to Macs and need some info..... I got an older G5 without a hard drive so I installed a formatted drive from a Windows computer. I went to Best Buy and bought a Snow Leopard install DVD. I tried to boot from the DVD holding down the C key but the smiley face/? folder just appears. Then I try to to hold down the ALT key but just an arrow and refresh button show up. I zapped the PRAM a few times and nothing..... Any ideas?

OP
C
Reaction score
MAC G5 install Help

Im new to Macs and need some info..... I got an older G5 without a hard drive so I installed a formatted drive from a Windows computer. I went to Best Buy and bought a Snow Leopard install DVD. I tried to boot from the DVD holding down the C key but the smiley face/? folder just appears. Then I try to to hold down the ALT key but just an arrow and refresh button show up. I zapped the PRAM a few times and nothing..... Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Yes...this is a VERY easy answer. Powermac G5's CANNOT run Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. OS 10.6 requires a Macintosh computer with an Intel cpu...and Powermac G5's do not have an Intel cpu.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged. No need to cross-post. One post in one sub-forum is all that is necessary. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the newest version I can install?

OS 10.5 "Leopard" (latest version is 10.5.8). Install DVD's can occasionally be found either on your local Craig's List...and there's always some for sale on e-Bay.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be sure to purchase only the black full retail install DVD of Leopard. Do not try to install from the silver/grey discs which are extremely model specific and usually work only with the computer they came with.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok so I bought a Leopard DVD but I think my DVD drive is not reading it so I made a backup image of it and put it on an external USB hard drive. When I power up the system, I hold down the ALT key until the refresh and right arrow appear and then let go and all i get is a watch cursor for a few minutes and then it just stays on that screen. It is not seeing the blank hard drive i have in it nor does it see the CD drive or usb Drive. Help Please.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I bought a Leopard DVD but I think my DVD drive is not reading it...

Wow...that was fast. What color is this Leopard DVD...black or silver/grey?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're Leopard disk is ok (no scratches, etc.)...and if your Powermac G5's CD/DVD drive is no good...you can do three things:

- use an external CD/DVD drive
- replace your Powermac G5's internal CD/DVD drive
- if you have a 2nd Mac...you can connect your Powermac G5 to it in "Target Disk Mode" to do the Leopard install.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I bought a Leopard DVD but I think my DVD drive is not reading it so I made a backup image of it and put it on an external USB hard drive.

By the way...how the heck did you make a backup image of your Leopard disk to an external HD if your CD/DVD drive isn't working???

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
I can try that but my other DVD might be a SATA drive and I don't think it will fit. It Should "see" my hard drive/ DVD drive and USB drive when I hold down the ALT key correct? Do I depress the key as soon as the blue/gray screen appears?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It Should "see" my hard drive/ DVD drive and USB drive when I hold down the ALT key correct? Do I depress the key as soon as the blue/gray screen appears?

Did you read this part from the link I provided above?:

"Now that you’ve installed OS X 10.5 on your Flash Drive, it should boot up to the device anytime you select it from System Preference >> Start up Disks."

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.