Macbook core duo now with no OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 macbook pro, mid 2010 iMac 27", mid 2012 macbook air, ipad mini & iPad 2 + the phones
Hi everyone

This is, I'm sure both old and annoying, for everybody to read. However, i was given a macbook core duo 2.0 GHZ, by my best mate. the computer has the usual battery x symbol. i reset the SMC, no change. the battery was also replaced by my friend still no joy. i am installing a new pram battery and also replacing the heatsinc and fan too. my questions are.....

1. will installing this new hardware solve the problem???

2. i was trying to upgrade my OS X to snow leopard using my other computer, a macbook pro, OSX DVD it was unsuccessful. i very stupidly followed an instruction to format the HD and try again now i get a blank screen with a flashing folder because now obviously there is no OS installed. please help me i had a suggestion of downloading osx 10.5 from file share or something but i'm not that tech.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi everyone

This is, I'm sure both old and annoying, for everybody to read. However, i was given a macbook core duo 2.0 GHZ, by my best mate. the computer has the usual battery x symbol. i reset the SMC, no change. the battery was also replaced by my friend still no joy. i am installing a new pram battery and also replacing the heatsinc and fan too. my questions are.....

1. will installing this new hardware solve the problem???

2. i was trying to upgrade my OS X to snow leopard using my other computer, a macbook pro, OSX DVD it was unsuccessful. i very stupidly followed an instruction to format the HD and try again now i get a blank screen with a flashing folder because now obviously there is no OS installed. please help me i had a suggestion of downloading osx 10.5 from file share or something but i'm not that tech.

I don't know the answer to your hardware questions, but a retail copy of Snow Leopard is $29 and should install without issue if there are no other system problems.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 macbook pro, mid 2010 iMac 27", mid 2012 macbook air, ipad mini & iPad 2 + the phones
The MacBook is a 2.0 core duo that operated on osx 10.4 I think. Will it handle a fresh install of snow leopard?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MacBook is a 2.0 core duo that operated on osx 10.4 I think. Will it handle a fresh install of snow leopard?

It will run Snow Leopard just fine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks heaps. I've got more ram coming so hopefully it will run smoother. Fingers crossed that the new parts solve this battery problem. Thanks Razor. I'll update this when it's installed to confirm.

Thanks heaps. I've got more ram coming so hopefully it will run smoother. Fingers crossed that the new parts solve this battery problem. Thanks Razor. I'll update this when it's installed to confirm. How much RAM can an i5 MacBook pro and 27" iMac take are they the same types?? Sorry just thought I'd cover all bases

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks heaps. I've got more ram coming so hopefully it will run smoother. Fingers crossed that the new parts solve this battery problem. Thanks Razor. I'll update this when it's installed to confirm. How much RAM can an i5 MacBook pro and 27" iMac take are they the same types?? Sorry just thought I'd cover all bases

OWC is a good source for all things Mac. I think I remember they had a compatibilty APP on their site that would give that info based on year and model. Good place to check.

http://www.macsales.com/

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I can't buy osx leopard from a retailer. Why can't I use my MacBook pro or iMac DVD?? Would it work once I have upgraded to 2gb?? I'm worried that if I buy snowleopard on line and wait the 2-3weeks and when it arrives it doesn't install. I can't install snow leopard that came with my other two macs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok so I can't buy osx leopard from a retailer. Why can't I use my MacBook pro or iMac DVD?? Would it work once I have upgraded to 2gb?? I'm worried that if I buy snowleopard on line and wait the 2-3weeks and when it arrives it doesn't install. I can't install snow leopard that came with my other two macs.

The system discs that comes with a Mac from the factory are tailored to the machine they're sold with.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spoke with an apple support guy who told me I would need a MacBook snow leopard box set to be able to successfully install onto the MacBook. I think because there is no operating system on the machine but it used to have tiger installed. Software is very confusing to me. I also do not have original tiger discs and the guy who gave me the MacBook is out of the country for 2 years.

Reaction score
It's most definately worth upgrading to Snow Leopard and as others have rightly said, you will need the Retail Version of the OS to successfully install it on your system.

:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your help. My MacBook is up and running great. Can anyone re direct me to the correct thread to ask if there is any anti virus software required or worth purchasing.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
can i install mac os x lion on macbook without os

i have a macbook 07 the white one without a operating system and i bought a os x lion usb thumb drive can i install lion without a problem please helppppp pleaseeeee

C

chas_m

Depends on whether your white MacBook from 07 is a Core 2 Duo or not. If it is, then Lion will be no problem (provided you have at least 2GB of RAM and lots of hard drive space available).

If it is a Core Duo NOT a Core2Duo, then you're out of luck. Lion will not install on that machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.