How to transfer pictures from my Canon Powershot SD790 IS to my macbook pro.

Reaction score
Hello all.
I recently switched from a PC to a mac, and now enjoy my Macbook Pro. It's not one of the newer ones, but it's just as good.
The problem i've come across is I can't seem to figure out how to transfer pictures from my canon powershot camera, to my computer. I've tried having the camera plugged in, and opening Iphoto, to no result, To downloading the canon software directly from the website, to which it replies with "no camera found" when I try and search for it. It's as if I never have it plugged in at all.
Is there any way I can access the USB drive directly via my HDD or something?

Any advice would suffice, anything that will keep me from having to go out and buy a memory card reader to upload the pictures >_<

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello all.
I recently switched from a PC to a mac, and now enjoy my Macbook Pro. It's not one of the newer ones, but it's just as good.
The problem i've come across is I can't seem to figure out how to transfer pictures from my canon powershot camera, to my computer. I've tried having the camera plugged in, and opening Iphoto, to no result, To downloading the canon software directly from the website, to which it replies with "no camera found" when I try and search for it. It's as if I never have it plugged in at all.
Is there any way I can access the USB drive directly via my HDD or something?

Any advice would suffice, anything that will keep me from having to go out and buy a memory card reader to upload the pictures >_<

Not sure why you are opposed to buying a memory card reader. The reccomendation you will get from most of us here is not to download from the camera using the USB cable.
SD Card Readers are cheap (~$10) and reliable. In my kit I usually have a minimum of four 4GB to 8GB SD Cards that I swap out as I fill them. When I am ready to download to Aperture (works the same for iPhoto, but I no longer use it) you pull the SD Card and insert it into the Card Reader and Aperture or iPhoto will take it from there.

EDIT: I actually have 3 SD Card Readers; I keep one with my MBP and the others in different Kit bags. For that matter I have a fourth if you count the SD Card adaptor I bought for my iPad

EDIT2: What version of iPhoto are you running? Since you have an older Mac if you have an older version of iPhoto as well it may not have the drivers to support your camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
+ 1 on the card reader...I have the same camera....works as described above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
edit: oops missed that it's not a new one.

Anyway, I just use a card reader. It saves battery usage on the camera. This is true of all my cameras btw, my SD790, D200 etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.