To update to Lion or not to update

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)

I've been a mac user for quite a while and right now I'm using a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 8gb of Memory.

I'm majoring in Web Design and Television Productions (along with Psychology) so I always have to have the latest of the best programs such as the Adobe programs.

I was thinking of updating to Lion but it seems like all of the reviews are either 5 stars or 1 star.

I would absolutely die if I downloaded Lion and it turned my computer into a slurring mess like some people seem to be experiencing.

Speed is something I'm big on since honestly I don't have a lot of patience and when programs don't work it puts me in a tizzy. So my laptop has to remain fast.

My Adobe Programs must work (primarily Photoshop,Fireworks and Dreamweaver) as well as the iWork programs and the Final Cut Studio programs. I could probably work without Microsoft Office but I did just purchase the latest edition of that too so it would be nice if I could still use them.

I know the Adobe Programs are on the compatible list but then some people said in their reviews that they couldn't even open any adobe programs without them crashing the computer and having to shut their computer down and restart it.

Based on what I previously mentioned do you think it's a good idea to upgrade to Lion or should I just stay on Snow Leopard?

Thank you for any help you have no idea how much I appreciate it. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello Everyone :)

I've been a mac user for quite a while and right now I'm using a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 8gb of Memory.

I'm majoring in Web Design and Television Productions (along with Psychology) so I always have to have the latest of the best programs such as the Adobe programs.

I was thinking of updating to Lion but it seems like all of the reviews are either 5 stars or 1 star.

I would absolutely die if I downloaded Lion and it turned my computer into a slurring mess like some people seem to be experiencing.

Speed is something I'm big on since honestly I don't have a lot of patience and when programs don't work it puts me in a tizzy. So my laptop has to remain fast.

My Adobe Programs must work (primarily Photoshop,Fireworks and Dreamweaver) as well as the iWork programs and the Final Cut Studio programs. I could probably work without Microsoft Office but I did just purchase the latest edition of that too so it would be nice if I could still use them.

I know the Adobe Programs are on the compatible list but then some people said in their reviews that they couldn't even open any adobe programs without them crashing the computer and having to shut their computer down and restart it.

Based on what I previously mentioned do you think it's a good idea to upgrade to Lion or should I just stay on Snow Leopard?

Thank you for any help you have no idea how much I appreciate it. :)

You have no compelling reason to upgrade and every reason to wait.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's no rush...Lion will still be there when you're ready.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
I'm in exactly the same position! Apart from having some PowerPC Applications that I occasionally use but don't want to spend cash on updating them (MS Word, Photoshop Elements etc), I can see no practical advantages in "upgrading" Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
I am new to Mac. Just got my MBP 15" i7 w/4 gigs ram delivered today. I was reading about some issues with Lion. I can upgrade free, but should I wait till they work out any issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You just got it delivered today and it came with Snow Leopard installed? If you click on the Apple in the top left corner, and then on 'About this Mac' does it say 10.6.8 or 10.7 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, I wasn't aware they were still shipping 10.6! Well, for the record.. I'd certainly get it while you can. Whether you install it, or burn a disk and install it after an update or two.. is up to you. The conservative move would be to wait for a fix content release (10.7.X) or two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.