External HD No Longer Recognized

Reaction score
I've searched through other threads in the forum, but haven't been able to find the help I need.

I have, and have used with no problem, a WD external hard drive. However, my MacBook is not recognizing the HD at all. Nothing is showing up on the desktop, in Finder, nor in the Disk Utility.

The HD itself is getting power, but nothing is recognized by the MacBook. I have a 6 pin firewire that is running from the HD to the MacBook. I have switched firewire ports on the HD and nothing seems to help.

When I run the software it gives me a "Disconnected" message and the icon for the external HD is showing a red exclamation point.

Anything come to mind?

Thank you for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like a failure with the interface. Does it have USB as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've searched through other threads in the forum, but haven't been able to find the help I need.

I have, and have used with no problem, a WD external hard drive. However, my MacBook is not recognizing the HD at all. Nothing is showing up on the desktop, in Finder, nor in the Disk Utility.

The HD itself is getting power, but nothing is recognized by the MacBook. I have a 6 pin firewire that is running from the HD to the MacBook. I have switched firewire ports on the HD and nothing seems to help.

When I run the software it gives me a "Disconnected" message and the icon for the external HD is showing a red exclamation point.

What version of OS X are you running?
Does this drive currently work properly with another computer using the same cable?

OP
H
Reaction score
Sounds like a failure with the interface. Does it have USB as well?

Yep. It has a micro USB port. I suppose I could try that. I'll look into buying the cord if I have to. I was hoping this might be a finance free fix. We'll see.

OP
H
Reaction score
What version of OS X are you running?
Does this drive currently work properly with another computer using the same cable?

I'm running OSX 10.4.11. My wife's laptop has a newer firewire port, so I can't try it through hers.

That being said, I don't know the answer to that question, yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep. It has a micro USB port. I suppose I could try that. I'll look into buying the cord if I have to. I was hoping this might be a finance free fix. We'll see.

Didn't it come with a cable? Those cables are incredibly common, even if it didn't. If you have a digital camera or a cell phone, most of those ship with micro or mini USB cables. Any chance you might have one stashed away somewhere?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.