Can MBP work while closed? (TV connection question)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
I finally got my MBP connected to my TV. Works great. The only problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to get to work with the MBP closed. When I close it, it of course goes to sleep. Trying to watch a movie with the lid open is a bit annoying. The best I've come up with is closing the lid most of the way and turning it around.

I've found a couple of articles on the internet about using a MBP in clamshell mode but they all rely on an external keyboard to wake up the computer. I don't have one. I use a remote control program on my IPhone to control the computer.

Your assistance is appreciated.

SD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
so while your macbook is closed and asleep, plug in the power adapter and the connection to you TV. Then as long as you have a mouse or keyboard (neither NEED to be wireless, but it certainly helps) you can operate the macbook on your TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I finally got my MBP connected to my TV. Works great. The only problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to get to work with the MBP closed. When I close it, it of course goes to sleep. Trying to watch a movie with the lid open is a bit annoying. The best I've come up with is closing the lid most of the way and turning it around.

You'll need a mouse or keyboard of some type to wake it up. Then you can use your iPhone app to control it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Thanks for the help. I guess it's just not designed to work the way I want it to. Hmmm . . . maybe I need a mac mini to dedicate to my home theater? Yeah, that's it! I'm sure the wife will go for that. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for the help. I guess it's just not designed to work the way I want it to. Hmmm . . . maybe I need a mac mini to dedicate to my home theater? Yeah, that's it! I'm sure the wife will go for that. ;D

That can certainly work, but you'll have to set it to never sleep. Up to you, but the electricity usage adds up over time and your utility bill will be slightly higher. Your call if you don't mind spending a little extra on that bill.

Personally, I think it's worth it to just get a $15 external mouse to wake it from sleep. Like I said, then you can use your iPhone app the way you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.