increasing wifi signal from wired router..

Reaction score
Let me explain my setup and problem.
I have a desktop PC downstairs, with a router plugged in to my phone jack and computer (ethernet cord). This of course allows Wifi upstairs, where we use, to various degrees, two other Windows laptops, one Macbook, and an old G4 eMac, operating system 10.4.11. G4 has an Airport Extreme card.

The G4 is the farthest it can possibly be from the router. The Wifi signal there was pretty decent most of the time..yes, on the low side when DD is using her Macbook, but almost always available to some extent. But recently, there is little or no signal most of the time. I thought maybe my other DD was puttering around with it and maybe deleted the network password or something, so I lugged the thing down to my bedroom, which is much closer to the router, the signal was quite strong.

So...how can I improve the Wifi signal using my existing wired router? I know there is the Airport base station, but would that be configured to work off my wired router? I'm totally confused as to how those work. Can I get some sort of USB antenna and just stick it into the computer? I'm looking for the cheapest fix possible.

OP
I
Reaction score
correction, I have a combination 2Wire "gateway" - a router/modem combination..might it me possible to get a more powerful router/modem combo? Any model suggestions (would the newer "N" type router work with WEP, which is what I think the Mac G4 requires?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all newer "N" type routers are backwards compatible with WEP. Most are setup to do WPA or WPA2. If you're limited to WEP because of the G4 that means your entire system is at risk. WEP is almost like having no encryption and should never be used. I suggest attaching your G4 via ethernet cable and switch your encryption to WPA2.

OP
I
Reaction score
Not all newer "N" type routers are backwards compatible with WEP. Most are setup to do WPA or WPA2. If you're limited to WEP because of the G4 that means your entire system is at risk. WEP is almost like having no encryption and should never be used. I suggest attaching your G4 via ethernet cable and switch your encryption to WPA2.

Actually, ran up and checked the G4 "Internet Connection" tab, and it does allow for setting up a network with WPA and WPA2, if I'm not mistaken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.