• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

programming

K

kakosc

I'm pretty new to macs, but even so ive never been able to develop software or the like. I'm too scared to go into the developer forums because they're all harcore programmers and i really dont know where to start.
What software to you need to make software?
Where do i start what do i do?
ive got 10.2.8, ive heard vaguly somewhere that there's some darwin programming software built in, its just hidden somewhere?
Can anyone help me out?
Tha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, if you installed the free developer tools you can program in virtually any language you want...
There should be a version that can be installed from the jaguar cds.. and I know panther ships with Xcode!! :D

FireStorm Creation uses apple developer tools. So to most of the mac developers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I can print Hello World and I can also add, subtract, multiply, devision and other simple mathematical equations in C++ using xCode.

To tell you the truth... it's freaking hard!!!

sKaD

OP
K

kakosc

Yeah, I'll probably need to take up some course. I took japanese over software design and development for my year 11 and 12 subjects. I'm kinda regretting it now, but i'd learn alot more from an external course in software design than i would in some night class language group.
Graphite: when i get a bit of spare time I'll look into it, but ill need a bit of training first i suppose :(

OP
S

shadov

Here's some advice for beginners:

1. Get a good book. Something not too heavy that'll get you started.

2. (optional) Get another book. One that talks only about syntax. You can prolly find some online manual that satisfies this need.

3. Google is your friend. Every time you get an error message you don't understand, google will tell you. If you want to do something and don't know how, google might know the answer. Learn to use it.

4. Write your code so that it's easy to read and understand.

Some links that I have found usefull:
Java
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/index.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/errormessages.html
C/C++
http://www.cppreference.com/

OP
J

Jon-Mikko

I suggest you to learn Java. It is a very 'easy' programming language compared to C and/or C++ and is the perfect beginners language. I advice you to:

1) Get a good beginners book of Java. Prefferably something printed after 2000.
2) Visit www.java.sun.com At that website you will find almost all information you will ever need when programming java. No reference books or such will be needed since all Java documentation can be found there online, for free.
3) Start creating awesome programs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
kakosc said:
Yeah, I'll probably need to take up some course. I took japanese over software design and development for my year 11 and 12 subjects. I'm kinda regretting it now, but i'd learn alot more from an external course in software design than i would in some night class language group.
Graphite: when i get a bit of spare time I'll look into it, but ill need a bit of training first i suppose :(

:) its really not as hard as many think.. its like riding a bike where when you turn left.. it turns right :D

just read up on it from online sources.. take the tutorials

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.