Is the new Imac 21.5 entry level a good choice?

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro laptop, 15" with the 7200 and i7.
Well had, the macbook pro isn't the new one's it's a 2010 model. But I was using it for Garageband, blogging, surfing the net and music from my ipod pretty much. I also used basic things like Ical, no pictures or movies or games for that matter.

Well my wife and I were in Guitar Center last week and on a whim since her laptop is pretty much done (it's a dell) she came up with this idea that I could get the Imac and she would take my mbp since I don't ususally move much with my computer. I keep it in the basement where all my band gear is.
However since reading up on the Imac I got i saw you can't upgrade it, at least the entry level one. And it's i5 not i7, is that much of a big deal?
I also noticed there are more ghz on the mbp rather than the Imac (2.3 Imac 2.5 mbp)

I am starting to think I should have given her the imac even though the mbp doesn't have Thunderbolt and the Imac does. So is the entry level Imac as good as the Macbook pro I gave her? The mbp was also 2400 dollars with the 7200 upgrade too, so it was much more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
From what I understand, the Core i7 in those machines was actually not a dual core processor. As such, the Corei5 will be just as fast, if not faster than that Core i7.
With that said, the new iMac is a very capable machine, and probably would perform as well if not better than the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
From what you say you use the computer for I would say both would do. If you really do just use your computer in the basement then I would stick with the imac myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.