Display driver needed for Windows 7/Bootcamp/July 2011 Macbook Air

Reaction score
Hi all...just purchased a July 2011 Macbook Air 13".

In order to run a few "windows only" programs, I have installed Windows 7 Pro under Bootcamp.

Display drivers are nonexistent and it defaults to not only a lower resolution, but one that is not widescreen (so image on screen is distorted).

Is there a driver that can be used to solve this issue? I tried downloading from Intel, and I get a "minimum system requirements not met" error when attempting to install.

Please....any help is GREATLY appreciated! I have one more week to decide if I will keep this computer, and it is critical that I get the screen resolution (or at least a proper resolution ratio) on the Windows 7 side.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you download the driver disk from Apple? When you ran Boot Camp the first time you should have received a message that you will need to download drivers from Apple. The new Air should use the same video drivers that are available for the 2011 MBP 13" models as it uses the exact same video chipset - the Intel HD 3000.

OP
T
Reaction score
I followed the normal Bootcamp procedure....used a USB drive and it appeared as if all necessary drivers, etc. were downloaded, although it was all automatic in the way Bootcamp downloaded/installed. Is it possible to add after the fact or do I need to uninstall and reinstall Bootcamp/Windows 7?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, it sure sounds like you're missing the video driver set for the HD 3000. I keep forgetting the Air does not have a internal DVD drive. But if you downloaded the driver set to a USB flash drive per instructions it should have worked.

Try this: Boot to Windows 7 and then run the Boot Camp software update from within Windows. Let's see if it it gives you an opportunity to download and install Boot Camp updates. I believe the latest is BC 4.0. Install from within Windows 7. That might work to update the video drivers.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks CHSCAG!

Was able to burn a disc of Windows Boot Camp updates and successfully add drivers! All working great now....
Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. Have fun with your new Air and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.