• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac Mini update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
DCraver said:
Well, that's just a System Profiler picture from a PMG5. They just changed the computer type part thing.
Actually, its from a post on MacRumors. That is an altered version of a supposed screenshot of proof that the Mini had updated specs.
The pic I posted was from a another post on MacRumors that altered the original screenshot even more...showing how easy it is is fake a screenshot of a system's specs if you have the right tools and know how.
Either way, I am well aware that it is faked ;)

OP
F

Fallooza

i would just like ta post that I got a mini yesterday, the superdrive model, and it does have the 1.5GHz not 1.42GHz. Looks like they really did do it.

Reaction score
is there a noticeable difference in performance between the 2 processors? the reason i am asking is because i might be getting one mysef.

OP
L

lil

As much a difference as 80MHz can provide...

It's nice they have them but it won't be a performance overhaul for sure.

Vicky

Reaction score
Fallooza said:
i would just like ta post that I got a mini yesterday, the superdrive model, and it does have the 1.5GHz not 1.42GHz. Looks like they really did do it.

What about the Vram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
IronMac said:
About D3v1L80Y's theory on the production lines. Sounds plausible except that I dont think the logic boards for PB and MM's are the same. Can you just slap a faster processor, BT 2.0 and more video memory on there? I think this takes a little more than just an accident.

This statement is totally true. Building a computer isn't like Lego. Just look at the shape of the power book and the shape of the Mini Mac. It's very unlikely that these parts would be interchangeable. So now that we've established that the parts aren’t interchangeable it would take Apple alot of time and alot of money to produce a new schematic for the new better parts. If they did do this on purpose then it would have been announced. Apple wouldn't even have had to hold a separate conference for it either. There have been 3 (I think) in the last month. There was even one the other day! So if this was done on purpose then it would have been slipped in at one of these events. This was no deliberate action from Apple. Could it be possible that there is a fault in the system? Could something be going on in the wiring to make these 'improved models' perform faster? This makes the parts very unstable and very susceptible to breaking. If this is the case. Wouldn't it be better for Apple to wait for these unstable models to break, give the owners a new one (that is totally fine) on the warranty than to say that there design is crap? There must only be a couple of 1000 models that are defective. Even if Apple's net loss was £100 per model (which it will be much less than.) that’s pennies to them overall. Just think about what Apple make a year! And I'm sure that they would be willing to give up a couple of £1000 to keep their PR in tacked.

It's just a thought. I really think that this is not a deliberate action as there have been plenty of opportunities for them to announce it.

Also even I could Photoshop a screen shot to chance the data. They could have at least made it believable (I mean come on, just look at the RAM. That in a mini Mac!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Fallooza said:
yes the vram is Upgraded to 64MB also.

But still the same ATI 9200, I suppose...no?

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah

I've been designing a webpage on my brand new super drive Mac Mini, and regarless of the resolution shortage, the programs run smoothly (nothing like a G5 though) and so far everything is comming out neat. So the update are not all that much information.

Try to get the link right next time!

:batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
Apple should definitely announce the upgrades now. It's been so long... Or is there another event in the works?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Yeah it's been a while since the Mini was upped. I'd really like to get one actually but I'm going to hold off until it gets upgraded which should be soon, its well overdue.

Does anyone at all have a comment on my previous post?

OP
H

hangtown

Avalon said:
But still the same ATI 9200, I suppose...no?

It's still a 9200. The differences are 1.5 Ghz cpu vs 1.42 Ghz, 64 MB video memory vs. 32 MB, and the 5400 rpm drive vs the 4200 rpm drive.

I think that's it.

The latter two are more likely to matter to the user than the 80 Mhz bump in speed on the cpu.

On the MacNN forums there's a post about this topic with the serial numbers of some that have the upgrade, and when their computers were made. I think someone concluded that it looks like those made in or after September were the ones with the upgrades.

OP
R

Russ-ST24

Hi,
I just brought my MAC Mini last week from the Apple Store in Bluewater (UK).
It has the PowerMac 10.2 model code. I can confirm it shows 1.5Ghz and 64Mb Video. As for the rpm of the disk I am not sure.
As others have said there was no way of knowing until I got home and tried it.
Luck of the draw.

Russ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.