is this a good deal for an iMac i3?

Reaction score
i was shopping in Best Buy the other day and i noticed that they had an open box imac i3 (probably a display) for $1099. is this a good deal? i'll be using it for photo editing and some video.

i'm new to Macs and i thought i could buy it to see if i really like them and maybe invest in an i5 or i7 down the road.

is this a sound plan or should i go ahead and invest in a i5 now?

one last thing...this i3 also has a dark sploch down the right side of monitor. it can only be seen if the desktop is solid purple or blue. is this issue something to consider as well? since it's open box, is this something best buy will get fixed or will i be on my own?

sorry for asking so many questions, but after lurking for while it seems as though you guys really know Macs. ;)

thank in advance for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i was shopping in Best Buy the other day and i noticed that they had an open box imac i3 (probably a display) for $1099. is this a good deal?

Could probably use more info on this iMac i3 (processor speed, amount of ram, video card, HD size)...but with the info so far I would say that it's not a good deal.

You can get this iMac i3 refurbished from the Apple Store for $929 ($170 less than the Best Buy deal):

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

sorry for asking so many questions, but after lurking for while it seems as though you guys really know Macs. ;)

Yup...that's what we do!;)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for your reply pigoo3.

i apologize i didn't include more detail. i'm at work and i left the specs at home, but from what i can remember it's an 27" iMac 3.1 processor 4gb of RAM and 1TB hard drive. i'm not sure about the video card.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your reply pigoo3.

i apologize i didn't include more detail. i'm at work and i left the specs at home, but from what i can remember it's an 27" iMac 3.1 processor 4gb of RAM and 1TB hard drive. i'm not sure about the video card.

If it's a 27" model...than that makes a big difference (the link I placed above was for a 21.5" model).

The least expensive refurbished 27" iMac i3 from the Apple Store is $1269:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

So if this is the same model at Best Buy...$1099 (and if it's in ok shape) would be a pretty good deal!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Only thing I'd suggest is making sure the factory warranty applies, and that it begins with your purchase date. I don't know about Best Buy's practices, but CompUSA was notorious for selling hardware, having it returned and then reselling open box merchandise again. Unfortunately, Apple already had the machine listed as purchased months previously, so when the new buyer went to take it home, half the warranty was gone. If BB will guarantee the full 1 year warranty, it sounds good to me as well.

OP
L
Reaction score
thank you too evenstranger! i didn't even think to ask about the factory warranty.

i am a very amateur photographer. the 3.1 dual core processor should be enough to manipulate photos and some video, shouldn't it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
one last thing...this i3 also has a dark sploch down the right side of monitor. it can only be seen if the desktop is solid purple or blue. is this issue something to consider as well? since it's open box, is this something best buy will get fixed or will i be on my own?

My strong advice is to.....

Bypass it. Buy a refurbished iMac 27" from Apple instead. That dark splotch can mean a defective LCD which will only grow worse over time and cause you misery especially in dealing with the "Geek Squad". That's why the previous owner returned it and it's now an open box item.

OP
L
Reaction score
ok...now i'm home and i can post the exact specs.

Model Identifer: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.2
Graphic: ATI Redeon HD 5670
MC51LL/A

chscag, is only noticeable with very dark desktops...and only faintly even then.

i've been saving, so i can afford a new or rather refurbished one, but with me being new to Macs i didn't want to spend an additional $500 or more in the event they don't suit my needs or wants.

if i find i love them a few months down the road, then i can always find a way to justify a new one. :Mischievous:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag, is only noticeable with very dark desktops...and only faintly even then.

I 100% agree with chscag. I thought maybe this dark spot was a smudge on the aluminum housing of the iMac (not the display). But if this dark spot is on the display...FORGETABOUTIT!!!;)

The display on the 27" iMacs is absolutely gorgeous...and IMHO there's no discount that's worth compromising on that (at least any reasonable discount you're likely to get)!

Definitely get a new or refurbished 27" iMac from the Apple Store!:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
to quote my nephew..."AWW...MAAAAN!!!":eek:

thanks for the advice guys. i'd much rather have the security of a new one than to try to save a few bucks and have problems down the road. :'(

have a good one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
if its too good to be true...it probably is! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.