Lion Fundamental Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2009 24" iMac, mid 2009 13" MBPro
First off, before the fan boys grill me, I actually like Lion and like where it's at but....

With all these fundamental, not even quirky, easily identified problems with Lion showing up all over the forums, what were the beta testers doing? Lots of users spotted these below on day one (20th), so surely the faults shouldn't have made it into production.

Mail has stopped seeing some folders in our Exchange Server 2007, worked great in SL, now it is totally unreliable because of the folders it does update, I can't trust what is or isn't up to date.

Finder Windows playing hide and seek - but not all the time?

Oh and by the way, I went for completely new clean install's on my MBP and iMac. So no legacy trash hanging around, these suckers are 100% Lion.

I know they'll be fixed but it makes me laugh to re watch the last Keynote. Come on Apple, you've got more dough than even the US Government right now, get some of it spent and get these fundamentals sorted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I always love when someone says something like "I really like X but..."

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's like when I say to you, with all due respect, I am not knocking it but I am trying to draw other's measured views on such fundamental problems as we are seeing. And, in the hopes that someone at Apple actually hears some of this stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Who is "we" and what are the "fundamental problems"?

Many people are happy with Lion, some aren't. There are a few bugs, but nothing that fundamentally is stopping most people from using Lion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Exchange mail thing I can't try as I don't have an Exchange mail server here to check it with. The other things I have never seen so far. Windows playing hide and seek? Not here unless you are using Mission Control incorrectly. Could be something you are overlooking. Can you be more specific on the Hide and Seek finder windows?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
What I find interesting is people rushing to upgrade (rather than waiting for the inevitable bugs to be worked out) and then complaining because some bugs crop up.
On the flip side, I tell myself everytime that I am going to wait, but then I go ahead and upgrade at the first opportunity. So I am guilty too, just don't tend to complain if I run into issues because I asked for it by insisting on being in the first group.

End of rant.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razormac, if no-one rushed to be early adopters of the new OS, the Apple's bug fix process would be more protracted, so don't berate yourself for rushing to install early. Probably like many people, it's not life or death for me, I couldn't give a rat whether the OS works properly or not, it will eventually. But remember, it needs early adopters who are prepared to say what is going wrong and not be in denial, so relax guys and take it as constructive criticism of an OS that ought to have been better at launch.

And Schweb, Mail failing to update some folders and not others and to fail to display the contents of other folders, when correctly configured to read mail from and Exchange server, stops me and others from using Lion until it is fixed. Pretty fundamental from my point of view if the mail client won't work. But then again, it's clearly intermittent because others have had no problems at all and as I said above, both my Mac platforms are clean Lion builds.

Dtravis7, I refer to this finder issue and today I have read of three other's with the same problem, which is that if I click on finder, there is no response. I can't find an open finder window anywhere using mission control etc looking in all available desktops. I right click on the finder icon on the dock and in options I have to click This Desktop and the folders in Finder now appear. It's a quirky, intermittent problem that will be fixed I'm sure.

Sorry to have been a pain guys, I'll just go back to lurking from now on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
billywiz1307, you don't have to lurk! :D

I and the others were just pointing out our experiences. Yours might be unique to your machine.

Stick around!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers DTrav, no worries mate :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.