ibook g4 speakers

O

oslothecat

the right internal speaker has stopped working on my 1 month old ibook. problem persists when i plug in headphones and peripheral speakers -- i get a little bit of sound out of the right earbud/speaker but only very faint. it may have started after my most recent updates (i think i did security, ipod and itunes). any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You didn't lower the volume for the right output did you?
Open up Audio/midi setup in Applications>Utilities and check to see if the sliders under 'Audio output' are both level...

If not, drag them both all the way left and then try increasing volume using the F5 key. They should both go up about the same amount...

Does that fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The same thing happened to me just yesterday. I thought it was because my kids were messing with my machine.

Try what Aptmunich said, but I would first try:

System Preferences -> Sound -> Output

and make sure the Balance slider is in the middle. Somehow, mine had slid all the way to the left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
Aptmunich said:
You didn't lower the volume for the right output did you?
Open up Audio/midi setup in Applications>Utilities and check to see if the sliders under 'Audio output' are both level...

If not, drag them both all the way left and then try increasing volume using the F5 key. They should both go up about the same amount...

Does that fix it?

This morning I also noticed my iBook's internal speaker didn't work either and did a quick search in this lovely Mac-forum and my solution found!

I am a happy camper now :mac:

Cheers
B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted!
Remember to tell your friends ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
This is a really weird quirk that ibook's have. Mine did the same exact thing, and it started when i plugged in headphones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember: It's not a quirk, it's a feature ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.