Internal Hard Drive Not Showing in Disk Utility - Macbook Pro 2007

Reaction score
I recently installed osx lion on my macbook pro and had it going for maybe 2 days and then the computer wouldn't boot. I got a flashing folder with a question mark but I was able to use the install cd to go into disk utility. However the only thing I could see there was the cd drive, the hard drive was not there.

When I turn the macbook pro on i can feel the hard drive starting and the computer chimes but then it goes to the folder and wont boot.

I looked around and thought the issue might be the cable that goes from the hard drive to the logic board? Or do you guys think the hard drive is fried?

I have tried clearing ram and everything else I could find with no luck.

Macbook pro 2007
Intel core duo 2.16ghz
500GB hard drive Seagate Momentus XT

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I recently installed osx lion on my macbook pro and had it going for maybe 2 days and then the computer wouldn't boot. I got a flashing folder with a question mark but I was able to use the install cd to go into disk utility. However the only thing I could see there was the cd drive, the hard drive was not there.

When I turn the macbook pro on i can feel the hard drive starting and the computer chimes but then it goes to the folder and wont boot.

I looked around and thought the issue might be the cable that goes from the hard drive to the logic board? Or do you guys think the hard drive is fried?

I have tried clearing ram and everything else I could find with no luck.

It could be the cable, and would be a simple thing to check to ensure it is seated properly. Barring that, the only other culprits would be the hard drive (most likely) or the motherboard itself.

Reaction score
Hi, have a similar problem, my internal HDD not showing on Disk Utility. But my story started different. MBP with OS X Lion was in sleep mode and drained all his battery. When I turned it on, hibernation didn't loaded, just stopped after the chime sound and the progress bar was just starting to load. I could start from Snow Leopard DVD, erase the disk with Disk Utility, installed SL, and restored from Time Machine backup made with Lion (this last action I think started my headache). All seemed to be a successful system restore. But when I turned the MBP on again next day, it didn't boot and started making some noises from HDD like hardware testing. I again started up from SL DVD, Disk Utility showed the disk, I tried to erase it again, but a message popped up saying there was an error in the process and the HDD then disappeared from the available drive in Disk Utility. Now I don't know what can I do to get my HHD (Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200 rpm) running again. The HDD still spins, as I can hear it. Now I'm using an external HDD (the original that came with my BMP2,2) with Lion.

How did you solve your problem, was it the cable connector to the drive? or something else?

I think there may be a problem with the file structure that got corrupted when I put a Lion backup over a Snow Leopard boot drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.