can't open encrypted files in safari/i have the password..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I know this doesn't belong here, but this gets the most looks, I don't know where to put it, and its a semi-urgent situation
I have an assignment that has patients names on a powerpoint my instructor loaded to a website. Its a PPT file, I have keynote to open it. But its encrypted due to the sensitive nature. I KNOW THE PASSWORD. Safari and firefox do not prompt me to enter the password tho. When i look the ppt up in finder after it is dl'ed, I'm told that it won't open the encrypted file, save it unencrypted first to do so.

Is there a hidden window you think? Or field in any of the menus that I am unaware of?

I told the instructor, I greatly doubt she will get back to me with any constructive input, I will be on campus to get it done at lunch today, but there will be more of these to come.
THanks in advance, and sorry moderators for the poor forum placement.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
That is a Microsoft Powerpoint file, not a website or html file. You need Microsoft Powerpoint or the Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I know this doesn't belong here, but this gets the most looks, I don't know where to put it, and its a semi-urgent situation
I have an assignment that has patients names on a powerpoint my instructor loaded to a website. Its a PPT file, I have keynote to open it. But its encrypted due to the sensitive nature. I KNOW THE PASSWORD. Safari and firefox do not prompt me to enter the password tho. When i look the ppt up in finder after it is dl'ed, I'm told that it won't open the encrypted file, save it unencrypted first to do so.

Is there a hidden window you think? Or field in any of the menus that I am unaware of?

I told the instructor, I greatly doubt she will get back to me with any constructive input, I will be on campus to get it done at lunch today, but there will be more of these to come.
THanks in advance, and sorry moderators for the poor forum placement.

Thanks in advance.

Best option I can think of is to try opening it in Powerpoint if you have access, otherwise you might try OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

I take it from your post that you don't own/control the file. IMO it is better to use encrypted disk images than encrypting individual files, but that doesn't help your situation.

Hope eveything works out okay.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
@ Deckyon is open office able to view .ppt files? if so i have that, if not i didn't find a functioning stand alone ppt viewer for OS X
No luck other than that, thanks gentleman.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Deckyon is open office able to view .ppt files? if so i have that, if not i didn't find a functioning stand alone ppt viewer for OS X
No luck other than that, thanks gentleman.

????
I have and use OpenOffice and it will both open and edit Powerpoint files (which is why I recommended it).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My guess is that Keynote can't handle PowerPoint's password protection (I don't actually know this but it might be something to consider). I would suggest that you get a hold of a computer with PowerPoint and resave it without encryption or if it must be encrypted (which it sounds like it has to be), encrypt it with something a little more Mac or Keynote friendly. Worst case - you can download the 30 day trial of Office 2011 here and use PowerPoint to open it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Van has it right. Programs that are supposed to be compatible to open Powerpoint files can not handle the encryption. Same goes for Word or any MS Office file that is password protected. There's not much you can do since the information is obviously sensitive because of privacy. If you're a student you can purchase MS Office 2011 at a discount. Check with your school's bookstore. This is one reason why I recommend students avoid Office compatible programs in lieu of the real MS Office.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
sry to leave you hanging razor, i understand what you were getting at now. and i appreciate the speedy response.
Classmates that have Macs have the same issue. Until i decide to buy MS Office with PowerPoint i will not know if it works. I am guessing it won't. Based on the fact that Internet Explorer on the PCs at the institution prompt you for a password upon dl'ing the file.
I pay tuition for a reason i guess, and that includes access to their equipment, not their IT skills.
THanks all for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The windows machines very likely have a the MS powerpoint viewer installed. MS isn't going to share their encryption hashes. Generally, for this reason, if I'm sending something encrypted, I use a pdf.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sry to leave you hanging razor, i understand what you were getting at now. and i appreciate the speedy response.
Classmates that have Macs have the same issue. Until i decide to buy MS Office with PowerPoint i will not know if it works. I am guessing it won't. Based on the fact that Internet Explorer on the PCs at the institution prompt you for a password upon dl'ing the file.
I pay tuition for a reason i guess, and that includes access to their equipment, not their IT skills.
THanks all for the help.

No problem.

Hope you get it sorted out.
FWIW the only issues I have run into with OpenOffice and PowerPoint is that some of the formating doesn't always translate correctly. On the otherhand I have never tried opening a password protected file in it.

On buying PowerPoint, I believe you can do a free trial first to see if it works (as I think someone else previously mentioned). Not personally a fan of MS Office (I use it at work because I have to).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.