Range: airport extreme vs airport express

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight? I need a new router, trying to decide between these two.

Any other pros and cons besides features (hard drive sharing vs airtunes, how many users can connect, etc)?

Are they both dual band (G and N users can connect at same time)? Does one tend to hold up better than the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The 'Extreme' is the only Router.
The AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (Australia) you can create a wireless network or extend your wireless signal, but can not be used as a router.
The AirPort Extreme Base Station - Apple Store (Australia) you can so this is your answer.
HTH

Cheers

Actually that's not quite right, either can be used as a router. However, I don't really think the Express is a good choice for a main or serious router.

Check out this site for the details:
Apple - Wi-Fi - Which Wi-Fi Base Station are you?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There should be no contest in range. The Extreme should far out perform the Express in that regard.

OP
J
Reaction score
The 'Extreme' is the only Router.
The AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (Australia) you can create a wireless network or extend your wireless signal, but can not be used as a router.
The AirPort Extreme Base Station - Apple Store (Australia) you can so this is your answer.
HTH

Cheers

Sorry, bad terminology, I just meant a device for setting up a wireless network, wouldnt you call that a wireless router?

Thank you all for your responses. Anyone with more info out there on range, speed, and how the devices hold up?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sorry, bad terminology, I just meant a device for setting up a wireless network, wouldnt you call that a wireless router?

Im sorry for running you up the wrong tree ;P

Actually that's not quite right, either can be used as a router. However, I don't really think the Express is a good choice for a main or serious router.

Check out this site for the details:
Apple - Wi-Fi - Which Wi-Fi Base Station are you?

Thanks for that. I stand corrected. I understand a little more now too :)

Cheers

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thank you all for your responses. Anyone with more info out there on range, speed, and how the devices hold up?

Thank you

See my previous post. It's not even going to be a close competition between the two. You want the Extreme for what you're looking to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The Airport Extreme should be considered a "base" foundation in the case that you've got a large house with several levels. The technical range on the Extreme is 150 feet vs 50 feet with the Express. A good example of where and when to use the Express is in a big house, and when you need to amplify the signal when the Extreme is just starting to lose a bit of strength/signal.

The other main difference is that the Extreme offers dual band support vs. the Express' single band:
Some Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4GHz wireless band, including iPhone, iPod touch, and devices using 802.11b/g. Other devices can use either 2.4GHz or the higher-speed 5GHz band, such as the latest 802.11n-based Mac computers, iPad and Apple TV. Instead of choosing one of the bands, AirPort Extreme operates simultaneously on both bands, and your multiband devices automatically use the best available band. This means all your Wi-Fi devices get the fastest possible wireless performance and the best possible range. In addition, AirPort Extreme reduces the possibility of interference from appliances and cordless phones that use the 2.4GHz band.
That's a big plus IMO.

On the Other hand, if you've got a small place, the Express will be great. Plus it has Air Play and the Extreme does not. : Apple - AirPort Express - Features - AirPlay

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See my previous post. It's not even going to be a close competition between the two. You want the Extreme for what you're looking to do.

I agree there. Mind you i do love the ease of use and the range on the my Express. Through walls into the garage, but the one thing I'm still waiting for is See Below !!!!

On the Other hand, if you've got a small place, the Express will be great. Plus it has Air Play and the Extreme does not. : Apple - AirPort Express - Features - AirPlay

Doug

The only thing that disappoints me with the Express (and in no means is it Apples fault) atm is the lack of AirPlay compatible Speaker Unit on the market. Yes there are a few companies that have something out but its limited and the prices are still quite high for that *bang for buck* mentality. Apart from that they are a top little unit.

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
The Airport Extreme should be considered a "base" foundation in the case that you've got a large house with several levels. The technical range on the Extreme is 150 feet vs 50 feet with the Express. A good example of where and when to use the Express is in a big house, and when you need to amplify the signal when the Extreme is just starting to lose a bit of strength/signal.

The other main difference is that the Extreme offers dual band support vs. the Express' single band: That's a big plus IMO.

Doug

Sorry for my ignorance - does this mean that if I have an Express and my iPhone 3G is connected to WiFi, my entire network (including Macs with 802.11n) will be relegated to the mediocrity of the 802.11g? But if no iPhone or 802.11g devices, the network will use n?

In practice, is streaming of video on a g wireless network poor (e.g. mac to apple tv or networked drive to mac)?
Also, is there anything that is difficult in practice with the airport express creating an n network vs a g network (e.g. if my mac is on the network at 802.11n and my iphone needs to connect on wifi at 802.11g, does my Mac just start to slow down or disconnect/reconnect or how does it work)?

Thanks everyone for your insight thus far, this has been great info for me

Also, final question - in terms of features, can the extreme also be used as a network range extender like the express can?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.