Recently pulled the trigger...

Reaction score
late saturday afternoon on a Macbook pro 2.0ghz i7 quad core with 15" monitor, 4 gigs ram, etc. Got it at refurb site on apple. Missed on the same unit with the hi res antiglare screen.

I got tired of PC, recently my HP laptop primary HD failed. Good thing I had all data on the second HD. Got a rockefish gadget and now the second HD can be accessed.

Since I ordered it on 7/30 and anticipate delivery 8/3, is there any chance of a free upgrade to the new OS? Also, what are the changes from old one? Seems pretty intuitive.

I do some digital photography, and look to install Photoshop and CaptureNX2. Are there any issues I should be aware of or is all good to go? From my research I should be fine, but I just found this site..

From what I read the word processor files in iWork can be opened with MS Word so it doesnt seem I really need MS Office.

At one time I was going to install Windows, but dont we switch to Mac to get away from Windows? Is there anything I'll miss besides the crashes, defrags, antivirus?

Also is antivirus software needed? I hear there are some viruses for Mac.

Anyhow... looking forward to this. Wish I had had the $ for an iMac when my desktop took a dump last year..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also is antivirus software needed? I hear there are some viruses for Mac.

Regarding this question. Antivirus needed...I would say no. OS 10.7 "Lion" is supposed to be even better than previous Mac OS versions due to "sandboxing":

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: the Ars Technica review

...and I would probably still give the same answer even if someone was running previous OS's like 10.6, 10.5, 10.4, etc.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After awhile on your Mac, it will seem weird having a computer where some 3rd party protection is a required necessity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Risk of spoiling a nice surprise. But pretty sure Lion should be pre-installed on that refurb. I don't think you have to do anything to get Lion on it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey, regarding this new laptop. In the past when I wanted more ram I put it in by myself. I looked at the bottom of this thing and its sealed like a submarine. Does anyone here work on their own? If I want more ram is it going to cost me up the butt to buy it from Apple and have them put it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Very easy to open - If you have the right size Philips #00 I believe. Buy the RAM from OWC or Crucial. It is reasonably cheap and OWC has an installation video that will show you how easy it is.

C

chas_m

Be aware that if you happen to damage the case or machine while expanding the RAM, such damage is NOT covered by Applecare/warranty.

Adding RAM *itself* is okay, but if you still your beer in there or forget to discharge your static and fry the MB, that's not covered. As I'm sure you know. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.