How To Archive Mac Mail?

D

deezgames

I have about 4GB of business email over past 4 years on Mac Mail OSX. Is there anyway to just archive mail over 1 year old (I can do this on Outlook/Entourage)

Seems backup/archive on Mac Mail makes it difficult to archive old email. I have about 50 mailboxes, so can't do manually--way too much work.

Please advise!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Mail itself will not archive your mailboxes. You could however try this approach. I personally don't like the idea myself, but rather agree with one of the commentors there...
If you truly want to archive your Mail.app email go to:

~/Library/Mail

Copy that entire folder to a CD-R. It contains all your mail boxes, account info and rules you created. Also these folders/info can be opened in Entourage (only program checked) if you need to import. Seems a lot easier.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I looked at what D3v1L80Y suggested. I don't like the ideas because your mail is not private anymore. The google folks can look at any file that is on their server if they choose too.

I believe the best way is to back up the ~/Library/Mail folder/directory as D3v1L80Y suggested (fastest way) or create a text file of each mail message (slowest way) and back it up.

I tend to do both.

OP
B

Badie

backup your HDD

I would recommend you to backup the whole hard drive (for example with carbon copy cloner. Or backup only mail folder (username -> library -> mail)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.