time capsule question

Reaction score
Time capsule Help

basically i dont know anything about the time capsule or computers, but my macbook has completely ran out of hard drive storage space. Its nearly 4 years old ( late 2007 model) old so i think buying internal hard drive space would be a waste incase i was to buy a new labtop. Therefore i thought an external hard drive ( time capsule ) will be better, as i presume if i do get a new labtop i can just transfer data from an external hard drive. But before i buy one can someone tell me if its bascially the same as a internal hard drive meaning if i c download more music or bootcamp it would just go on my external hardrive but i could still use it on my macbook.
Also is says its compatible with 0S X leapard 10.5 or later, my macbook is mac 0S X 10.5.8, so is this leopard or not.
And finally i know you can get a wireless time capsule, which is the one im looking at but can it still be connected to a labtop via a normal wire of some kind. The reason i asking this is its advertised as a tool for backing up data and how its works will time machine.
And sorry if none of this makes any sense. Thanks.

OP
G
Reaction score
basically i dont know anything about the time capsule or computers, but my macbook has completely ran out of hard drive storage space. Its nearly 4 years old ( late 2007 model) so i think buying a new internal hard drive space would be a waste of money incase i was to buy a new labtop. Therefore i thought an external hard drive ( time capsule ) will be better, as i presume if i do get a new labtop i can just transfer data from an external hard drive. But before i buy one can someone tell me if its bascially the same as a internal hard drive meaning if i can download more music or bootcamp and it would just go on my external hardrive but i could still use it on my macbook, as if the storage space atually appeared to be on my macbook.
Also is says its compatible with 0S X leapard 10.5 or later, my macbook is mac 0S X 10.5.8, so is this leopard or not.
And finally i know you can get a wireless time capsule, which is the one im looking at but can it still be connected to a labtop via a normal wire of some kind. The reason im asking all this is because its advertised as a tool for backing up data and how its works with time machine, which doesnt tell me what i want to know.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense. Thanks
And sorry if none of this makes any sense. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Lets see if I can answer a few of these questions.

1. If you have 10.5.8 you have the last release of Leopard. The Time Capsule works with that OS.

2. The Time Capsule is a router and hard .drive combined. If all you need is an external drive for data storage or backup using Time Machine it is usually cheaper to just buy a regular external hard drive. You can store files on the Time Capsule just as you would a hard drive. The advantage of the Time Capsule is that the files are available to any computer on your network.

3. All of the Time Capsule models are wireless but you can connect to them using
an ethernet cable. The storage space will behave just as though it were on your MacBook unless you are having network issues.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will not install BootCamp/Windows on a Time Capsule.

OP
G
Reaction score
So by that do you mean i cannot download it and just have the storage space it requires be placed on the capsule.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
BootCamp Assistant partitions a portion of your internal drive for installing windows - there is no option to select some other drive. Windows will not boot from an external drive either - you can thank MS for that - so it would do no good even if BootCamp would work on an external.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks now i understand, well i guess i will just have to clear enough room on my internal drive. By the way just so i dont get any bad suprises is this the only example you can think of where this actually occurs, because the reason im thinking of buying a new hardrive in the first place is because im going to be adding much more music, and scanning thousands of photos onto my macbook and adding then to iphoto.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where what actually occurs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.