Delayed login under Lion??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Didn't see this mentioned in any of the "problem" or "quirks" threads...but...

Since I upgraded to Lion, I noticed that logging in is kind of sluggish. When I click on my user name, it usually takes about five seconds before it actually responds -- under Snow Leopard and Leopard, it was instantaneous. In fact, this morning I timed the latency between clicking on my name and any further action happening at 13 SECONDS -- even got the beach ball.

Same thing after I enter my password -- there's about a five-second delay between the time I hit "Enter" after typing my password and the time it actually accepts my input.

Anybody else have this issue? Other than that, I've noticed no other speed issues whatsoever...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you remove the check from the box that says "restore Windows" when you logged off? You might also do likewise in System Preferences, General. I notice leaving that option turned on slows everything down.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Tried both, no difference.

Also, I have Secrets installed. I thought that might have something to do with it as it has an option that have custom wallpaper on the login screen, which apparently is not Lion-friendly. I removed Secrets but I'm still having the login delays.

Reaction score
I'm having the very same problem.
On Snow Meow the boot is very snappy, but on Lion-o (same apps/config as in Snow Meow) it seems it takes forever to boot. Not only that, but everything else seems sluggish.

BTW: clean install on Lion-o.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Not on this end. Lion super fast with 64 bit kernel. Cut boot time in half from 10.6 on my SSD. The only problem I have is that Finder does not load by default all the time, which is a little bit goofy and causes other things not to start loading until I click its dock icon and load the finder. Kind of odd.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No slowness here on either my 2.4Ghz iMac 2007 or First Gen 1.66 Mini with a 2.16 C2D CPU. Both very snappy. I would say my boot to desktop time is even faster than SL was and trust me, SL was FAST here.

Not sure what is going on Dauber.

Edit: I never log on but have it go right to the desktop. I logged out, waited a minute and logged back in. There was maybe 5 seconds before the desktop appeared. Will try it in SL on the same machine and report back.

Reaction score
Mine is:
capturadetela20110803s1.png

And to be honest, Lion-o is kinda unnerving here...
Takes forever on boot (maybe is that Finder thing? It's the last to load here), sorta sluggish all the way not to mention some other "quirks" that bothers me a lot.

Oh well, will keep trying 'till the end of the week, then maybe get back to Snow Meow until Apple releases the first update for Lion-o.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There for sure is something wrong. I just booted into SL. SL took 14 seconds to get to the desktop. 7200 RPM new WD drive. Lion took 12 seconds. SL is faster at login if you use Manual Login by 4-5 seconds. Just tried it in both. Otherwise Lion is VERY snappy. Not sure what to say as we have very similar specs. My 2.16 modded 1st ten mini is screaming fast in Lion.

Is OSX still indexing the drives by chance? That does make things quite slow both on SL and Lion.

Reaction score
I do use manual login on both and I did unchecked the "restore windows" thingy.
Did you upgraded from Snow Meow or did you made a clean Lion-o install?
Do you think I should try a new fresh install?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do use manual login on both and I did unchecked the "restore windows" thingy.
Did you upgraded from Snow Meow or did you made a clean Lion-o install?
Do you think I should try a new fresh install?

Clean on both. I need SL for a couple of old Apps and Games, so shrunk the SL partition with DU and made a new partition for Lion. Installed from a Flash Drive. Only upgrade I have messed with briefly is my friends Macbook as he did not need SL for anything. It seemed ok but really did not have time to mess with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
On Snow Meow the boot is very snappy, but on Lion-o (same apps/config as in Snow Meow) it seems it takes forever to boot.

I know this is off topic, but I gotta say it made me laugh when I read this. I love your nicknames for SL and Lion! :D

Reaction score
Clean on both. I need SL for a couple of old Apps and Games, so shrunk the SL partition with DU and made a new partition for Lion. Installed from a Flash Drive. Only upgrade I have messed with briefly is my friends Macbook as he did not need SL for anything. It seemed ok but really did not have time to mess with it.

One thing that just occurred me: I couldn't burn a DVD, tried about 6 times and even though all of them seemed OK, none would boot, don't know why. On previous DP versions, it was fine al the way.

Anyway, I booted on Snow Meow, created a partition and installed Lion-o while still on Snow Meow, then rebooted and finished the install normally.
Could that be it..?

Reaction score
I know this is off topic, but I gotta say it made me laugh when I read this. I love your nicknames for SL and Lion! :D

Glad someone noticed - and knew what it was!;D
BTW: guess what I used to call the GM version.
Hint:
Cinema-MGM.jpg

;P

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed and loved it! Just did not mention it.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the delay, but one of my coworkers just got a brand-new MacBook with Lion pre-installed. His login has the same quirk as mine -- delayed reaction by a few seconds. (And he's on a faster machine, too.) After login, everything behaves normally and zippily. Wonder if it's just something within Lion itself and maybe everybody else just doesn't notice it???

Reaction score
same issue here i click on my user name and then wait for it .....wait .....not yet .....now you're in! it takes like 3 seconds to ask me for my password so annoying!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yeah, I also noticed that switching users takes a few seconds to get to the login screen. I hope it has nothing to do with my custom wallpaper. I really hate that dreary gray linen background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I'm not sure but I think this could have something to do with Lion preloading certain things behind the scenes because once my Desktop appears, most of the menubar items, desktop icons/folders are already there.
Unlike in Snow Leopard where I could watch them slowly appear one by one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.