Upgraded to Lion, lost all my files!!!!

Reaction score
Help please. Maybe because I am not familiar with Mac, I don't know how to search and find.

I upgraded to Lion and it seems that all, yes all, my files have disappeared. I mean like everything, all my thousands of photos, music, word files etc. Heck I don't even see the hard drive listed in finder anymore!!!!!!

Can someone help me, please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Tell us a bit more please. Did you upgrade as in run the installer after it downloaded from the App Store? I hope you did not open Disk Utility and erase the drive! So far this is the first post with your question I have seen regarding Lion.

Give us a bit more info if you would.

OP
T
Reaction score
A bit of a panic on my part. For some reason the "finder" wasn't showing the Mac HD. Through Finder I looked and looked. So after I posted this, I calmed down a bit, opened Finder, looked at preferences, and for some reason the "display Mac Hd" was not checked. I checked it and voila' everything appeared like magic!!!!!!

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for my panic. Next time I'll take a breath or two and do some looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Thanks for posting back with problem solved

Yes, Lion does opt to hide the hard disks as well as shared server points and external disks unless you turn this on in the Finder preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I had that problem originally. For some reason the default is not to show the main drive in one particular view of Finder. Using Preferences in Finder does allow this to be shown.

I suppose the theory is that all the files it is 'safe' for the user to see are in Favourites, so you don't need to see the volume in Devices as well, because Devices shows folders which are best left alone.

I suspect most of us prefer to be able to see these folders - and leave them alone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Lion does have All My Files checked as a default in Finder so I am surprised that the OP did not see their files listed there.

Mark

OP
T
Reaction score
Believe it or not the preferences had the show all files checked. Problem here is that it wasn't showing the Mac HD, where all my files are stored!!!!!

Just a bit of panic. Being new to Mac, I haven't mastered the art of finding stuff. Heck I cannot even find my time machine backups! I know it's backing up and I have a portable HD hooked up for that purpose. Guess I'll find these on the portable drive!!!

Reaction score
Missing files

Thank you SO much for this helpful post. I had the same experience after the upgrade to Lion and thanks to your generosity - panic over and problem solved! Hugely appreciated by non-tekkie person.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thank you SO much for this helpful post. I had the same experience after the upgrade to Lion and thanks to your generosity - panic over and problem solved! Hugely appreciated by non-tekkie person.

This is the main reason we don't usually honor requests to delete 'mistaken' posts.
often our mistakes end up helping a lot of other people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.